Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Sig P229?

My only handgun currently is a Sig Sauer P229 in 9mm.

What divisions of USPSA can I compete in with it. And is it an ok gun to compete with? I have about 7 factory mags in good condition, Im looking at holsters, belts and mag holsters. Im new, I havent even gotten my membership yet. Im trying to learn as much as possible before I start.

Best place for you would be Production Division. 7 mags are more than enough. Look at Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac for holster/pouch gear.

What about a belt? I want a good one thats not sharkskin and costing me 150 dollars lol

Also is this holster ok?

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66

Edited by JackImpact

I ran my duty P229 for a couple of years in IDPA before switching platforms. This is a more-than-adequate firearm for USPSA and, if you shoot Production, you will not be in any disadvantage against other shooter of your same proficiency level.

The CompTac holster you linked is a great choice and, I will suggest that you check out the CR Speed belt: http://www.crspeed.co.za/pSUPERHITORQUEBELT/Super-Hi-Torque-Range-Belt.aspx

Welcome to the addiction!

CR Speed belt is the best for USPSA. Easy to put your gear on and take it off, you should be able to find it for around $50, less if you can pick up a used one here on the forum.

They look comfortable and colorful lol Im a pant size 32-34. What size belt would you say I should get?

Also I subscribed to your youtube channel haha. You look really skilled.

Edited by JackImpact

They look comfortable and colorful lol Im a pant size 32-34. What size belt would you say I should get?

I only have Double Alpha Precision belts (same idea, different brand), but with a 32 waist I wear a 34 or 36 belt. A size or two larger than you typically wear should be good.

Best place for you would be Production Division. 7 mags are more than enough. Look at Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac for holster/pouch gear.

What about a belt? I want a good one thats not sharkskin and costing me 150 dollars lol

Also is this holster ok?

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66

Wilderness Tactical makes a nice belt that also works for conceal carry. I have the Aviator Belt with the stiffner. I like the light loops a lot more then the heavy steel bucket. Thye make a Ti. version as well. I also think the stiffner is another good option. Main thing is this is a standard belt. So you need more time to gear up, your gear is only going to fit in certian spots due to your belt loops (which vary from pants to pants). So the double belt (compitition) is a better option. I still don't own one and never have any issues getting my 1.75" belt to work with my shorts/jeans. But it's something to consider. One of these days I will get a compitition belt. It won't make me any faster. I will still be glad I have the Wilderness Tactical belt for conceal carry.

http://www.thewilderness.com/

Edited by 98sr20ve

Thanks. I'd get a belt one or two sizes larger than you normally wear.

I started with a p226 in production, in a Sidearmor holster. A 229 shouldn't hold you back for quite a while, although someday you could make a different choice. CR Speed or Double Alfa for the belt. As far as mag pouches, I much like my Ready Tacticals, purchased through a forum dealer, for Production Division. Because of their small size, you can get a lot of them on your belt and still reach them. Production is a great division and you will have a lot of fun with your P229.

a belt one or 2 sizes biggerthan your normal waist size is pretty much the norm, and for consistent gear placement for that all important muscle memory, everyone seems to be using the inner/outer belt combo's from various makers, CR speed has been the up an coming choicefor many, I have been doingthis for sometime, most of not all my stuff is from safariland, back in the day an inner an outer combo fromthem wasnt all that bad, andthey last for damned near forever, in 21 yrs ofthis stuff ive only gone thru 2 belts

Thanks for all the advice guys! Ill be going to the local club to watch a match either Friday or Tuesday. So Ill have to pluck up the courage and ask whats going on!

Hopefully I can start soon!