Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel to Taipei

So an outsourcing deal has been cut with a company in Taipei and the spouse in his role as Senior Engineer will be shipped out to make them fly right and straight for a couple of weeks. We, the family unit, don't want to pass up this opportunity to see this part of the world.

Do you have any suggestions on discount airfare, accommodations, or what to see? Then post 'em here!

Go over to the IPSC Global Village and ask in one of their forums. Shooters make great advisers, hosts and/or sources of information. Sorry I do not have a contact name for you.

Joel

I would see if you can have a day or two layover in the connecting cities on the way there. Hong Kong or Tokoyo would be cool to see while you're moving through. Shanghai is amazing but you need a Chinese visa which isn't trivial.

As far as Taipei goes, Taipei 101 is just awesome. The national museum was cool and don't miss the night market. The jade market is also neat but I didn't buy any for fear of getting a knock off.

I agree the Taipei 101 tower is awesome absolutely go. But I disagree about Hong Kong it is very expensive even by western standards. I would also recommend going to the south end of the island, if you can make it. Taichung is a nice area, I would recommend staying at an evergreen suites hotel they have a couple different locations.

If you are open to new experiences try going to a budist temple where you can stey the night, it is the most relaxing stress less environment I have ever been in.

So an outsourcing deal has been cut with a company in Taipei and the spouse in his role as Senior Engineer will be shipped out to make them fly right and straight for a couple of weeks. We, the family unit, don't want to pass up this opportunity to see this part of the world.

Do you have any suggestions on discount airfare, accommodations, or what to see? Then post 'em here!

I was most impressed by Snake Alley (ask your guide)and getting up early (very easy with

the huge time difference) and watching the commuters on their motorscooters wearing their

face masks every morning. People were very friendly.

Their is a village just north of

Taipei called the Indigineous People? or Native People? - very interesting - seemed to me

they appeared to be the original residents of the island, and they looked Japanese to me???

The Mongolian restaurant was very interesting, and very good. If you don't like fish (I

don't) or snake or other reptiles, the menu is limited - that's where the Mongolian restauarnt

came in handy - they serve recognizable meats:))

If you're a chocolate lover (I am) - bring your own - a bag of M & M's is good - they will

serve what appears to be chocolate cake in restaurants, but it doesn't taste like anything

I've ever tasted, much less like chocolate cake:((

To be fair, my wife loved the food (she loves any kind of fish). By the way, I LOVE chinese

food (American version) - the real Chinese food is NOthing like our chinese food - I didn't

like it at all:((

You should bring back at least on piece of jade and one of their tall art pieces - you

can't get them here for those prices and quality.

If you're there long enough (just a few days is enough) - they have custom tailors who

will make you a fully custom suit or shirts for a very reasonable amount - outstanding

quality and good prices.

Biggest problem for me (besides the language and road signs) was the jet lag - I couldn't

stop waking up at 2:00 am for the entire week I was there. If you can, try to stop for

a few days in SF and/or Hawaii to get used to the vast time difference. Again, my wife

didn't have this problem, so she just enjoyed the trip immensely:))

Good luck, and have fun.

Jack