Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Duty Personal Target Stands

Seth

Seth,

If someone were to want the spikes welded on to the base, can you do that? Maybe have something so that you just stand on them to set them in the ground.

Got an idea on the cost per stand yet?

Seth,

I do alot of practice at the base indoor range and these would work great for that. Please let me know when you have some in stock and I will take a few off your hands. Great Idea and great looking work.

Seth,

If someone were to want the spikes welded on to the base, can you do that? Maybe have something so that you just stand on them to set them in the ground.

Got an idea on the cost per stand yet?

I can weld steel spikes on steel stands or just build a pound down stand (think of a big spike with a target stand attached to it). I don't think that it'd work that well for aluminum, since they're light duty.

Cost is still hovering well under $20 each. I'm not ready to sell anything yet and will open up shop properly with Brian when I can. I don't want to offend our gracious host....

Seth

good work so far. im looking into making my own target stands as well, but i was going to go with wood (it easy for me to work with as I have never welded in my life) but the weight could be a pain. I really like what you have going here!!

A quick update...

I'm still in R and D stages. I tried the allthread option but don't much care for the process. Its a lot of steps and isn't necessarily the best solution.

I have a new solution that I'll prove out this week.

I'm ALMOST at a point of opening up shop. For those that have inquired, I'm still not selling anything.

Thanks.

How about a hybrid?

I think that the aluminum crossbar is going to get bent with people trying to pull stakes out of the ground. What about making the crossbar out of flat stock steel, I dont think that it would add too much weight to it but I am sure that it would add stability from them bending. The weight of the steel cross bar would also add weight to help with wind resistance.

6061 T6 is VERY stiff. You're not gonna bend it easily.

As for wind resistance, they will need a couple of stakes to stay up in a breeze... no different than the steel version. Our club has probably 150 of the steel ones and they all need a couple of stakes to stay up in a breeze. The H stands are a little better for wind resistance and are next on my list.

Thanks for your input. I am taking it all into consideration and want to offer something useful.

S.

Edited by Seth

I'm pretty happy with these now. I went to smaller hardware and countersunk the bolt head. Works much better. Now the bottom sits flat. The idea of tabbing the ends was an unnecessary complication. With the sticks hitting the ground, the stand is very stable.

I realize they're not super fancy, but that wasn't the goal. I intended to come up with something that was inexpensive and light. I think I hit that mark. Thoughts?

alstandfin.jpg

alstandfin2.jpg

alstandfin3.jpg

alstandfin4.jpg

Edited by Seth