Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp cleaning - Again

Alan Adamson

Just to be a contrarian, is there actually a point to cleaning a compensator?

Of course. You would not want the carbon buildup to start effecting the bullet path. If it builds up in an equal fashion around the baffles of the comp at a rate of .001 every 1000 rounds, by the end of 2 average seasons for most shooters the build up would start contacting the bullet. Before that begins to happen, there could be irregularities in the carbon buildup inside that comp that could cause the escaping gas to effect the flight of the bullet causing accuracy issues. I've seen it in a rifle so in theory it should happen with a pistol even quicker.

9000 rounds, no cleaning, no ill effects... let's just say I'm skeptical :cheers:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!! I didn't realize that all that funk had built up in there.

Mildot

Yeah, that stuff can build up quickly depending on what powder/bullet combo you are using. Thankfully most of the build up in my comp is carbon so it comes out pretty easy when needed.

Joe W.

I've posted this before, but like "the duck" posted earlier, a lube spray WILL work! I shoot primarily NRA Action Pistol, so there's only 48 rounds between stages. I spray Dillon Case Lube in the comp before each stage and again before bagging the gun for the trip home. I can leave it for a week or more before cleaning, and it only takes a few swipes with Shooters Choice on a cotton swab and then on a Scotch-Brite pad clamped in a hemostat to get the comp COMPLETELY clean! Total time cleaning the comp to pristine condition = 5 minutes.

The case lube keeps the fouling soft. Any case lube that contains alcohol and lanolin will work. Frankfort Arsenal and Midsouth Shooters Supply make basically the same stuff, and IT WORKS! I showed my gun to a couple of shooters at the practice range at the Cup last year and they wanted to know why I put a new comp on in the middle of a major match......that's how well this stuff works.:bow:

Alan~^~

I've posted this before, but like "the duck" posted earlier, a lube spray WILL work! I shoot primarily NRA Action Pistol, so there's only 48 rounds between stages. I spray Dillon Case Lube in the comp before each stage and again before bagging the gun for the trip home. I can leave it for a week or more before cleaning, and it only takes a few swipes with Shooters Choice on a cotton swab and then on a Scotch-Brite pad clamped in a hemostat to get the comp COMPLETELY clean! Total time cleaning the comp to pristine condition = 5 minutes.

The case lube keeps the fouling soft. Any case lube that contains alcohol and lanolin will work. Frankfort Arsenal and Midsouth Shooters Supply make basically the same stuff, and IT WORKS! I showed my gun to a couple of shooters at the practice range at the Cup last year and they wanted to know why I put a new comp on in the middle of a major match......that's how well this stuff works.:bow:

Alan~^~

I am going to have to give this one a try!! Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Joe W.

Alan~^~

I am going to have to give this one a try!! Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Joe W.

Me too. I do have Dillon Case Lube in my closet many years now and I haven't use it yet. Now I am going to try your advice. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

I recently began spraying Pam in the comp and found it does help. I'm also about to try Dillon Case Lube as suggested earlier in this thread. However, here's a link to another product (PB Blocker) I just ordered that is supposed to minimize lead buildup in the bore. I'm hoping it will also help to minimize lead build-up in the comp. I'm shooting FMJ's that very quickly build-up lead in the chambers of the comp. I'll report how the PB Blocker it works. The PB Blocker is also sold by Dillon.

PB Blocker home page: http://pbblocker.com/

PB Blocker review in Glock forum: http://theshootingbench.yuku.com/topic/1170

Well here goes,(ridicule if you want), a long time ago I read spraying the comp w/Pam or equivalent will aid in carbon removal. I sprayed mine shot a match and cleaned w/#9. Sprayed w/Pam, shot and cleaned etc... Hmmm, this is really easy to keep clean. Is it the Pam? Don't know but I have clean comps.

Comps??--Yep, got 2 G34 open guns.:)

If it works, keep it up right? I might just have to give this a try the next time I give my comp a good cleaning.

Joe W.