Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Comp

jmcmanis

I am in the process of building a race gun. I currently shoot limited and load a round with 4.0 grains of AA #2. Its not very hot at all.

AA #2 isn't very clean at all. Also, I shoot 124 grain CMJ.

I will have 11 ports and a compensator. What is a good powder? I want one that burns clean, and can be loaded hot, and produce a little extra gases for the comp.

Or, what is a good load with the AA #2 that will work good in a race gun?

Thanks,

James McManis

I don't know much about AA #2, but if it's a faster powder, it probably isn't going to work. To make the gasses needed to make the comp work effectively, you need a slower burning powder, like VVN105 or equivalent. As for the ports, you mean popple holes? How many popple holes will it have? How many ports will the comp have? If it does indeed have popple holes, you will have to cram even more powder in the case to make major, as the popples do help in keeping the gun well under control, but you sacrifice velocity in the process. 38 Super Comp is different in case capacity from 38 super (which is what I shoot), but my load is a MG 115 JHP loaded at 1.235 with 10.2 grains of VVN105.

Edited by GrumpyOne

12 is too many holes you'll have problem making major on that gun.Plus its just a waste of powder. Been there done that.

I would change it to 9mm and save money on brass.

Save your back too, not picking them up. You can put

2 popple holes on it and use winchester autocomp.

You'll thank me later. Let's face it, I can never beat the super GM

by having a flat gun. its all about talent and skills. Shoot a lot

and have fun, hey if you shoot enough, you might even end up on the

top 15 to 25 open shooters..just makin it real, hope I dont offend you.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Yeah, it's probably almost impossible to make major with that gun and AA#2 (safely). I use AA#7 or 9 in that line but my old favorite is still Blue Dot. It easily makes major with my STI Open gun (7 ports), decently clean but not the best, and cost is reasonable. I have to admit the cleanest powder was Vy powders but the cost per round goes up also. I purchased a couple 8lb canisters of Blue Dot so I'll be shooting that for a while.

Just curious, have you looked at Jeff's loads (http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm)? It's a really good collection of .38 Super loads. I know you are using Super Comp but I run both through my open and I haven't seen much of a difference. As a disclaimer, I do recommend only using factory tested loads in a safe firearm that has been checked by a competent gunsmith.

Good luck!

No way you'll make Major with AA#2....not going to happen even if it didn't have the holes. N350, 3N37 and 7625 are all clean. I think 4756 and AutoComp are both reported to be very clean. 3N38 and N105 will leave a little grit, but you can still shoot 1K+ before cleaning the gun. With that many holes and ports you might have to go with a very slow powder...I'd give 4756, 3N38 and N105 a try....hard (virtually impossible with N105) to even run the pressures high enough to hurt anything with those three. R,

AA #2 might make Major... once... :)

4756 is the cleanest powder I've shot in a race gun, to date, FWIW.

Realize that the number of ports is only part of the equation in terms of how they affect the load you'll need - where they're at on the barrel and how big they are will both have an effect, as well. The closer to the chamber the first ports are, the larger the ports are, and the greater the number of ports, the more of any individual powder they're going to require to make Major out of the load. More powder means more pressure - so the faster end of the powders we use for raceguns (which are really medium to slow speed pistol powders) can rapidly become very high pressure loads in a given setup.

I agree with Chris - N105 is disgustingly safe. It does end up a bit gritty, as the loads tend to only be 85-90% efficient. I go about 700-800 rounds between expedient cleanings, just to take the time to clear the extractor tunnel. Of course, my current load is 10.7gr behind a 121 (shorty w/ four small ports), so.... your mileage will vary...