Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefties and M1A brass ejection?

Cuz

Can anyone tell me if brass ejection will be a problem for lefties shooting the M1A rifle? Which direction does the brass get thrown? I'm considering the Scout Squad model if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

M1A does not generally tend to throw them back, but if it turns out that yours does, all you have to do to "housebreak" it is to take a coil at a time off the ejector spring. You can remove the ejector and spring without taking the rest of the gun apart too. Write back if you want to know how...

Billski

Get the full length 22" model. I had a Scout, but I learned that you want the longer sight radius if you're going to shoot it with the iron sights (and if you're not, I wouldn't get an M1A).

Edit: Here's a thread where I got some good advice when I bought mine back in the day:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51133

Edited by elenius

Cuz,

I have shot a few M1 rifles, the scout will be fine for your left hand shooting as they generally eject straight out or a little forward.

Your eyes are the determining factor for the 18" scout or the 22" std. M1a. I pay my eye doctor to keep mine where I can shoot my 18" and any other iron sighted rifle(or Pistol).

The M1a (especially the scout) fits the HM division perfectly and I have shot mine in the LTD division in USPSA with the 20 rounders with what I feel is no disadvantage (I won).

Hopalong

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get the 22" model. I am not planning to use it in competition, it will be just for fun at the range with iron sights. I've always wanted a semi-auto in 308 so this will be it.

I would like to mount a bi-pod on it for use at the shooting bench. Do I need a special attachment for this? Can anyone recommend one? I should probably make this a new topic, huh?

-Cuz.