Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 mods to help unlocking the forearm once the hammer's down?

rino451

I saw someone on this forum allude to what is in effect a "speed pump" mods for the 870. Is this just BS/wishful thinking?

If the hammer's down, the gun ought to be unlocked and just waiting for you to realize it and get to pumpin'. :-)

I haven't heard of such as mod. I wonder if this mod is something that will make the 870 run like an old Ithaca (hold the trigger down and pump as fast as you can go. One pump, one shot.

I saw someone on this forum allude to what is in effect a "speed pump" mods for the 870. Is this just BS/wishful thinking?

If the hammer's down, the gun ought to be unlocked and just waiting for you to realize it and get to pumpin'. :-)

I haven't heard of such as mod. I wonder if this mod is something that will make the 870 run like an old Ithaca (hold the trigger down and pump as fast as you can go. One pump, one shot.

I don't know what it is either but there is a mod for it. If you pull back on a 870 hard and pull the trigger more than likely, or at least in my experience, you'll lock up the action and have to go forward before you can go back again. Winchester used to make a speed pump that once you fired a shot the action would come flying back if you where holding onto it. A buddy of mine has it for his HM gun.

I'll see whether I can find the thread and post it up. I stumbled upon the thread twice now (reading about SLP stuff most likely) and it's finally piqued my interest.

It is a modification to the action bars. I had it done to 2 guns years ago that I no longer own. The smith made a "break" he refered to on the action bar corners... not sure where. It only worked on 870's with double bars not the early version with the single bar. It definitely makes the gun cycle as fast as you can work the pump. It did not make it like the Ithica, as being able to hold the trigger and work the action.

It is a modification to the action bars. I had it done to 2 guns years ago that I no longer own. The smith made a "break" he refered to on the action bar corners... not sure where. It only worked on 870's with double bars not the early version with the single bar. It definitely makes the gun cycle as fast as you can work the pump. It did not make it like the Ithica, as being able to hold the trigger and work the action.

Good info! I was beginning to think that I was dreaming. I might have to drum up a sacrificial 870 to see whether I can figure out the technical aspects. The specifics appear to be a closely help secret.