Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI mags STI grip

Two Delta

I shoot an open 9major STI gun. Bought as a slide and frame kit and put together from there. I have been using SVI magazines from the beginning. I ordered two more magazines in January that arrived last week. The new SVI mags have a different hole design for the mag catch,they are oval shaped instead of rectangular and slightly smaller. The mags both have to be pushed very hard up to seat and will not drop free when the release is pushed.I removed the slide and made sure that they did not hit the ejector and dykemed the top of the mags to make sure that they didn't hit anything else. I removed the mag release and installed the magazine into the grip so that I can see through the hole. The notch on the mag is below the hole.

I spoke with SVI today and they said that they check there mags in there grips before they ship. They no longer make plastic grips and there mag releases have changed. They said that there have been 3 or 4 calls about this but they have not had an STI grip and tried to figure it out.

Question is how to modify. I could lower the top shelf of the mag release or open the hole in the mag tube. I hate to cut on these new tubes. I'm also concerned with causing feeding issues by changing either all though it wouldn't be much maybe .050 at best.

Anyone had this problem before?

post-17553-127388590867_thumb.jpg

post-17553-127388592427_thumb.jpg

I got three new mags from SVI-Infinity a couple of months ago. The hole is rectangular. I got them after blowing through the ejector and mag catch with an SPS tube on my Infinity Open 38SC. I have not seen the oval hole. Maybe send them back with a request for the change you indicated. I wouldn't change the mag catch.

I got three new mags from SVI-Infinity a couple of months ago. The hole is rectangular. I got them after blowing through the ejector and mag catch with an SPS tube on my Infinity Open 38SC. I have not seen the oval hole. Maybe send them back with a request for the change you indicated. I wouldn't change the mag catch.

They told me that's how they make them now.

I'll have to make sure to hold on to them and my plastic grip, too. Must be for the new aluminum or steel grips. Well, cars don't have tail fins anymore, either. Wish I could help you more. Maybe one of the 'smiths will chime in. Good luck.

When I had my infinity limited gun, all I had was sti mags, and they would not work with the sti mags, so all I did was change the mag release to an sti, and it solved the problem. I guess they are trying to make it where if you have an svi lower, that you use svi magazines. Just a guess, not fact....

I found an old thread that had a similar issue. He replaced the Mag release with an SVI but the grip had to be reamed out as it is larger than the STI. Also the shelf that the mag sits on is very different. I would assume that that would work on the new designed hole.

http://speedshooter.com/images/SVIMC.jpg

Edited by Two Delta

I just received 2 new svi mags for my STI Eagle. It took some slow filing and fitting to open up the mag catch slot. I also had 1 that would not drop free. I taped up the mag with a little masking tape to find the contact point and then massaged it a bit. Works like a champ now. I love the SVI mag because I dont have to use a spacer for 9mm. It took me about an hour of slow work. File a bit and test fit multiple times.

Edited by cslafrain

I'm using some SV mags in STI frames with plastic grips. I simply raise the slot in the mag body a little bit until they seat properly. I've also had to removed a bit of material from inside the grips to get them all to drop free...a little dremel and file work was all it took. It hasn't harmed reliability with STI tubes even though they can wiggle around a bit more now (after maybe two years, so I'm certain it's not an issue). R,