Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arizona Boycott

DILLON 2010 B.htm

I have had my head stuck in the Dillon catalog since October. With all this talk of boycotting Arizona due to their enforcement of existing law it seems a good time to make a buy from Scottsdale. Within the next 1-1.5 months I plan an order from Brian to start upon the road of ammo independence. I have attached a spreadsheet of my intended order.

I am purchasing a maple work top today to start building an NRMA style reloading bench. I see bench builders that have routed a track system into their work tops to allow mount/dismount of equipment. Any info on the plusses or minuses of doing this would be appreciated.

My current requirement is to load for 3 calibers .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 30-06. Rumor has it my job may switch to a .45 ACP weapon and I may be fortunate enough to drop the .40 caliber and use this machine, 650XL, with one shell plate and no priming changes. I may hold off on any items required for use in loading .40 caliber pending the outcome of the rumor mill.

Things I am still considering include brand of dies to get. My list includes Dillon dies but the design and gadgetry of the Redding dies have my attention. I like the idea of the Redding competition seating dies having the ability to mic in the seating depth. The 30-06 reloads will be for a semi auto M-1 Garand and a bolt Springfield 03. There could be some variation in OAL between the two rifles for accuracy.

All input provided is appreciated but as most have stated the phone conversation with BE is expected to be the best method for info. Thank you for letting me fish the collective pool of practical experience.

Edited by pmclaine

My apologies, despite trying to edit the spreadsheet prior to posting the display ran the columns together and this makes reading my wish list very difficult. Anyone with info on attaching and excel spreadsheet or fixing the appearance please assist.

I am a relative beginner at reloading, so my advice is worth slightly less than what you pay for it...

1. I love the Dillon dies. I have tried a couple others but Dillon carbide dies are my favorite.

2. If you're getting 2 quick change kits that come with stands, one toolhead will always be on the press, so you don't really need to buy a third stand.

3. The Primer filler looks neat, but for $350 I'd probably enjoy the few minutes break from cranking the handle to load a few tubes.

4. Just noticed you have a 4th toolhead stand. That makes sense considering two toolheads for 30-06, but I still think you have an extra.

5. I don't know anything about the Stoney Point gauges. I use case gauges and a digital caliper for all my measurements.

I applaud what you are doing for Arizona and I want you to adopt me. I come with a 550 and a few other items.

Wow - I mean Wow, that is a list of stuff..

I really like my XL650, got it used off ebay. My favorite dies are Lee..

Show us some pictures when you get that set up...

George

I am a relative beginner at reloading, so my advice is worth slightly less than what you pay for it...

1. I love the Dillon dies. I have tried a couple others but Dillon carbide dies are my favorite.

2. If you're getting 2 quick change kits that come with stands, one toolhead will always be on the press, so you don't really need to buy a third stand.

I was thinking of a stand for the case prep tool head.

3. The Primer filler looks neat, but for $350 I'd probably enjoy the few minutes break from cranking the handle to load a few tubes.

4. Just noticed you have a 4th toolhead stand. That makes sense considering two toolheads for 30-06, but I still think you have an extra.

5. I don't know anything about the Stoney Point gauges. I use case gauges and a digital caliper for all my measurements.

I applaud what you are doing for Arizona and I want you to adopt me. I come with a 550 and a few other items.

1. Instinct says go with Dillon, they make the machine and the cleanability feature looks useful, but those Redding dies look real nice, and their cost reflects it. If there is a consensus from those with experience that Redding is worth the cost than I could see doing it. Once I get a tool head up and running with a suitable load I likely will not ever change it. Maybe the only die to really consider as a Redding would be their Competition 30-06 seat die if I want to vary the OAL of my rounds from the semi to the bolt gun. If I really want to produce custom rounds for the bolt gun and limit the stress on the brass neck sizing Redding dies may be the way to go.

2. I was thinking of a stand for the case prep tool head.

3. I will have limited time for reloading and I dont want to rush pulling the handle. If the filler is doing its job, I can concentrate on the work at the machine. Cash is not an inexhaustible resource for me but I will be getting compensated for a back pay issue and I intend to use the windfall to create a nice comfortable reloading environment.

4. 2 stands for caliber changes not in use and 1 for the case prep tool head. 3 total, perhaps I do have an extra I will adjust. Thank you for catching that.

5. The stoney point tools are just for setting the seat depth to achieve a desired set back from the rifling when loading for my 30-06. I'm not sure of the value when dealing with rifles that shoot iron sights and the youngest was born in 1943. Any little bit would help but the tools can not compensate for the tool pulling the trigger.

Crazy Boston has voted to sever all economic activity with Arizona (like there was ever a huge volume of trade anyway.) Worcester another MA city just acknowledged that bringing the question to vote was useless as it was none of the city business. They wisely refused to vote on a similiar proposal. I intended to do this anyway regardless of Arizona's politics - those people live there they know what they need to do, let them pass their own laws. I on the other hand live in a place where we pass laws that only apply to the law abiding.

Thank you for your response.

Edited by pmclaine

:surprise: thats a bit healthier than my soon to be shopping list...

I will be starting from scratch. Alot of my stuff will include items the experienced have gathered over the years. I recognize the sentiment to get into this endeavor at the lowest rung and work your way up. My list has me starting with some complex equipment. I like to read directions and if they say an adjustment should be within a certain tolerance it will be in that tolerance. I just dont want to get something simpler, knowing something better is out there and than end up spending more money a year later. The 1050 was strongly considered but the cost of tool heads and the requirement for me to change calibers kind of rules it out. If I can get rid of the need to load .40 caliber before I buy I may reconsider it as caliber changes would not involve a shell plate or priming changes and I could do away with the super swage process. Still it would require 3 pretty expensive tool heads.

As an important note my rounds fired count will be well under the capacity of the Xl 650 but the auto index and powder check are features that are desireable.

I have a 650 and love it. The Dillon pistol dies are great. I have also used the Redding rifle dies extensively to load match rifle ammo. They are very nice dies. I'm not sure what purpose you are loading the rifle shells for, but considering the rifles you are loading for I really doubt you need the Redding Competition setup. However, the seater sure is easy to make length changes with if you intend to load mutiple different bullets!

Mike

:surprise: thats a bit healthier than my soon to be shopping list...

I will be starting from scratch. Alot of my stuff will include items the experienced have gathered over the years. I recognize the sentiment to get into this endeavor at the lowest rung and work your way up. My list has me starting with some complex equipment. I like to read directions and if they say an adjustment should be within a certain tolerance it will be in that tolerance. I just dont want to get something simpler, knowing something better is out there and than end up spending more money a year later. The 1050 was strongly considered but the cost of tool heads and the requirement for me to change calibers kind of rules it out. If I can get rid of the need to load .40 caliber before I buy I may reconsider it as caliber changes would not involve a shell plate or priming changes and I could do away with the super swage process. Still it would require 3 pretty expensive tool heads.

As an important note my rounds fired count will be well under the capacity of the Xl 650 but the auto index and powder check are features that are desireable.

No need to start at the lowest rung. You seem to know what you want, which is a step in the right direction. My only reloader is an XL650. I didn't know anything about reloading when I got it, but I read a lot, went slow, and have never had an issue in the last 14 yrs. I don't feel that I have missed anything by starting with a progressive, except spending/wasting money/time on single stage press that others tried to push me into buying.

Looks like a class A setup. I am sure a lot of people are drooling! :cheers:

I am far from an expert. My 550 arrived a few years ago and I have loaded over 20,000 rounds since that time. Not a huge number, but I have experienced most issues that arise.

A month ago, my 650 showed up. It is nice, but has a number of initial setup issues. As of today, I can load faster on the 550 without the case feeder than on the 650 with the case feeder. When all goes well, I can load 100 rounds in about 7 minutes without rushing. Once all the issues are worked out, I am sure the 650 will scream.

Buying the ABC's of Reloading and devouring it is a great idea. You will also want other reloading manuals and I see that you have one on your list.

I don't reload rifle, so someone may be able to comment. The purpose of your 30-06 loads will also be an issue. However, it is my understanding that most rifle shooters want to be exact on powder drops and OAL. This MAY be an issue using a 650, or any progressive press for that matter. There is variance in OAL. I don't see this being eliminated, although there are some aftermarket products that profess to take out the "slop." The Dillon poweder drop is great, but not perfect. Also, the 650 with the auto advance, jerks the cases and could spill some powder. This may not be an issue with rifle.

One thing is certain. You will not regret purchasing the Dillon press. For pistol, I use an EGW Undersize sizing die. I shoot Glock occassionally and this helps me reduce the "glocked brass". I also like the Lee Factory Crimp Die. These are personal preferences. I do have Dillon dies for many calibers and they are great.

Good luck, take your time and have fun.

Nels

I use my Dillon 550 to load a wide variety of straight walled pistol calibers. The Dillon dies are excellent particularly if you are planning on using lead bullets - their bullet seating stem can beb easilly removed, cleaned and replaced without disturbing die adjustments. For jacketed or plated bullets you may find some other dies have an easier method to adjsut seating depthg with a simple turn of the screw which does not require a wrench.

Show us some pictures when you get that set up...

George

I will only be able to alot so much time to setting this up. It will probably take me 3 months to get things the way I want them. The nice thing about it will be each work period will be like Christmas...Open a box "Oh Boy! look a Super Swage!"

I imagine I'll be shooting factory ammo through the summer but it will be nice to have all those boxes in the house.

I agree with High Lord. Forget the primer filler and spend that money on components. As far as I'm concerned, reloading is and extension of shooting. If your so wrapped up in production that you're not having fun, you forgot rule number 1 It's supposed to be fun.

I agree with High Lord. Forget the primer filler and spend that money on components. As far as I'm concerned, reloading is and extension of shooting. If your so wrapped up in production that you're not having fun, you forgot rule number 1 It's supposed to be fun.

My tastes in fun would be more toward dumping a box of primers on top of the primer filler and watching the little bottle caps perform their dance up the feed ramp. To me thats way more fun than shaking a flip tray and chasing down those little csuckers with a pen tip. Thats the great thing about life everyones idea of fun is different. My concerns with the primer filler run toward it does not work as advertized but from what I have read on the forum the updated unit with the variable speed works great and if there are problems landing the unit on a mouse pad may just solve them. Now if the electrical engineers come up with a fix to have the new unit turn off at an appropriate time I hope Dillon will incorporate the upgrade before I buy mine.