Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot loads with 200 gr lead (or 185 or 230)

Lumpy McSoo

Hello,

I tried the search function and didn't see exactly what I wanted. I looked in my newer load books and there is not much for Red Dot and lead. This is the newer cleaner burning but I am guess same load data?

I have several thousand Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200 gr bullets (some LSWC and most are LRN). The pistols I have like them to an OAL of 1.250 inches. With 4.4 grs Clays I get 165+ PF for IDPA. What amount of Red Dot should I use for this. The Alliant site had one measly load with a short COL of 1.190 inch, shot out of a 4.4 inch barrel, with 4.5 grs which gave a velocity of 831 fps which is 166.2k PF. I am keeping my COL at 1.250 inch since it works. I can load some at 4.5 grs and 1.250 inch COL but I don't have easy access to a chrono. I crimp these to about 0.469 inch as well.

I could use Clays but I would like to use up the almost full 8 lb jug of Red Dot that I have.

If no one knows about 200 gr loads with Red Dot, what about either with 185 gr Montana Gold JHPs or 230 gr FMJs with Red Dot?

Thanks, Rick.

Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook has a load of 4.4 grains of Red Dot for the 200 gr Lead bullet at 713 fps. Max is 5.5 for 894 fps. OAL 1.235

185 grain Jacketed at 1.175 3.5 grains of Red Dot for 607 fps. Max is 6.1 grains for 941 fps.

They don't show a load for 230 grain bullets.

Red Dots just s little slower burning than Bullseye. My Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook" shows a starting load of 4.0 gr, and a max of 5.3 gr.I have used Red Dot as my only powder for smaller cases numerous times with complete satisfaction. If I ever run out of Titegroup, I will likely return to using it for the little stuff.

I was using 4.4 grains of red dot with a 200 grain precision bullet with a 1.250" OAL. I get a power factor of 171. They have a moly coating but precision says to use the same load data as lead bullets.

Thanks, everyone,

I have this information plus some from another site, which one guy did post the Laser Cast but only for the Lead 200 gr SWC but normally I start with that and move on.

The old Lyman manual went up to 5.3 grs which seems big but the Laser Cast information went from 4.0 grs for 731 fps to 4.8 grs for 871 fps, where I want to be consistently around 850 fps, unless the barrel shows great accuracy improvement with a slight velocity increase, which I doubt will probably happen.

The plan now is to load some at 4.5 grs Red Dot and some at 4.8 grs Red Dot, with a 200 gr bullet seated at 1.250 inches, which, is the COL I would and will use for either the Oregon Trail Laser Cast (OTLC) 200 gr LSWC or OTLC 200 gr LRN.

I'll report back if I ever get to use my chrono or if I get chronoed at a match.

Later, Lumpy.

Hello,

I tried the search function and didn't see exactly what I wanted. I looked in my newer load books and there is not much for Red Dot and lead. This is the newer cleaner burning but I am guess same load data?

I have several thousand Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200 gr bullets (some LSWC and most are LRN). The pistols I have like them to an OAL of 1.250 inches. With 4.4 grs Clays I get 165+ PF for IDPA. What amount of Red Dot should I use for this. The Alliant site had one measly load with a short COL of 1.190 inch, shot out of a 4.4 inch barrel, with 4.5 grs which gave a velocity of 831 fps which is 166.2k PF. I am keeping my COL at 1.250 inch since it works. I can load some at 4.5 grs and 1.250 inch COL but I don't have easy access to a chrono. I crimp these to about 0.469 inch as well.

I could use Clays but I would like to use up the almost full 8 lb jug of Red Dot that I have.

If no one knows about 200 gr loads with Red Dot, what about either with 185 gr Montana Gold JHPs or 230 gr FMJs with Red Dot?

Thanks, Rick.

Attached is a page from the 2005 Alliant manual with 45 ACP loads.

post-6242-127455415619_thumb.jpg