Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Some Drills

rtr

Are you shooting from a Weaver stance, or something else?

I'm shooting from the stance Burkett teaches, left arm straighter than the right, weight on balls of feet, right leg slightly back, knees slightly bent.

rtr: Ditto Matthew on the Vanek trigger slap.

I was having a heck of a time trying to "unlearn" a 4-finger grab that was happening as I shot the G35 one-handed. Best thing I came up with for precision shooting SHO and WHO is sort of a "slow slap" - works well. I find that the recovery time from recoil (.4 to .6sec) is plenty of time to let the trigger fully forward.

Had to train drawing from the holster and just touching the trigger - not taking up the slack. With the Vanek, there's really not a separate take-up anyway. You could start to memorize the distance before the final break but it's no change in pull weight. That's why I like slapping.

BTW I've made a flat section at the center of the Glock trigger - can't feel that safety trigger at all now. I use the tip of the index finger on the bottom center of the trigger. Supposedly how Jerry Miculek fires a revolver.

Been using the AA .22 conversion to really burn in the revolver-type trigger manipulation. So far it's good to about .23sec splits. Quicker than that & I'm noticing the bang-click-bang: the short reset again. Anyone slapping faster??

Ok well thanks to you guys (and a Vanek trigger) i have improved. Went out today and did a bunch of bill drills, after firing into the berm I realized I could do .20 splits and stay on target, did several bill drills at 3.8 or so, one at 3.59 but it had a C.

Any ideas on speeding up my draw? it seems stuck at 1.6-1.8.

First of all, practice. Then video yourself and see what kind of extraneous movement is going on. Eliminate everything except what you need to draw the gun. Eliminate shrugging, dipping your head, etc... Also start with the gun on target and ready to fire, then just holster without moving anything else except your arms. You are ready to draw and move nothing but your arms.

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks again guys, I videod my draw which looked fine to me. I read Brian's book, and I dry practiced a lot, the result yesterday at the range, after the match I was able to shoot consistent 3.0 bill drills with a low of 2.87, draw averaged 1.5.