Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 in SSP

nwb01

Friend of mine asked a very curious question today. Would it be legal to use a G17 RTF2 lower on a G34 Upper in SSP ?? I am not sure of the answer, since the

G34 RTF 2 doesn't exist I don't know. Nothing in the rule book about mixing and matching guns, only there has to be 2k units produced.

I don't see an issue with it, both stock OEM Glock components. What do you guys think ??

Technically, I don't think it's legal. As you said, a G34 with an RTF frame doesn't exist, let alone have 2,000 been made.

Practically, something tells me no one would notice, not at a club match anyway.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Since checkering is not allowed in SSP and that frame is awesome grippy...somebody is going to ruin your fun and frown on it. Good idea though...I like it. Do it up right with a super trigger, bronze guide rod and magwell and go play in ESP.

Since checkering is not allowed in SSP and that frame is awesome grippy...somebody is going to ruin your fun and frown on it. Good idea though...I like it. Do it up right with a super trigger, bronze guide rod and magwell and go play in ESP.

The checkering is OEM, so it WOULD be allowed in SSP on the G17 RTF2.

Edited by nwb01

Just my $0.02, but I'm not sure how awesome an idea running the RTF-2 frame is. I just got through doing a review of the G17 RTF (out on the stands right now in Gun World) and frankly I wasn't that impressed with the RTF-2 treatment. The frame texture is so grippy that I actually had trouble shifting the gun in my hand enough to hit the mag release button during a speedload.

But then, you're talking to a guy who just pulled all the grip tape off his own G34's grip and is now running it "naked". (NOTE: That means the grip is naked, not that I'm naked while shooting it. :))

Just my $0.02, but I'm not sure how awesome an idea running the RTF-2 frame is. I just got through doing a review of the G17 RTF (out on the stands right now in Gun World) and frankly I wasn't that impressed with the RTF-2 treatment. The frame texture is so grippy that I actually had trouble shifting the gun in my hand enough to hit the mag release button during a speedload.

But then, you're talking to a guy who just pulled all the grip tape off his own G34's grip and is now running it "naked". (NOTE: That means the grip is naked, not that I'm naked while shooting it. :))

Duane,

Why did you take the grip tape off of your G34?

I went "naked" for a while and actually liked it a bit. However I added some grip tape vertically on the "corners" of the grip along the non textured parts. It's enough to give me a comfortable secure grip but not so much that I can't do the flick when getting to the mag release. Naked would really be a problem in the hot, humid days that are coming...

Duane,

Why did you take the grip tape off of your G34

I found that ever-so-occasionally the tape would interfere with my hand sliding into place on the draw. Also, once I pulled it off, there was no dropoff in my speed or accuracy....so why have the tape at all?

The checkering is OEM, so it WOULD be allowed in SSP on the G17 RTF2.

The checkering is OEM for the 17RTF but when you put it to a 34 slide....the company did not make 2000 units like that so it's a sort of aftermarket checkering. I was totally kidding about the ESP, but if you're gonna play SSP it's just that...stock.

The checkering is OEM for the 17RTF but when you put it to a 34 slide....the company did not make 2000 units like that so it's a sort of aftermarket checkering. I was totally kidding about the ESP, but if you're gonna play SSP it's just that...stock.

I understand what you are saying about not having 2k units produced with this configuration. It wouldn't be aftermarket checkering, OEM parts. To my knowledge, Glock never made 2k G17's with extended slide release and extended mag button either. Both OEM components and therefore allowed, whats the difference ?

This configuration is still stock, there are NO aftermarket parts used.

To my knowledge, Glock never made 2k G17's with extended slide release and extended mag button either. Both OEM components and therefore allowed, whats the difference ?

The extended parts are specifically allowed per the rule book that's why. If you or your friend wants to give it a go just ask the MD before shooting it... especially at big matches... since it doesn't really matter what "we" think anyway.

I asked Robert Ray about swapping slides. I was looking at a cheaper alternative to just buying another 34, getting an aftermarket slide to go on my 17. According to him, it was illegal in SSP to run a 34 slide on a 17 frame. I don't know how they could tell without use of a SN database. They definitely could tell if you ran a 34 slide on a RTF, since none have been made in that configuration yet.

The guys at the Glock booth at nationals did say they were releasing a "Competators Pack," geared toward IDPA & USPSA. It would consist of a RTF framed 34/35, a large hard case, 4 or 5 mags and holster/magpouches, and 2000 of each would be produced. I have not seen anything related to it anywhere else though.

Edited by prreed10