Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing AR trigger guard

davidwiz

I'm having a bit of difficult getting the rear roll pin out of the trigger guard. The info I have says to use a 1/8 pin punch. Does the pin come out of the right side of the receiver?

I always go "left to right" when removing pins... As Wide45 said, support that tab well. Short, hard strikes on the punch work best to get them moving and out. If it doesn't move after a couple good hits, spray on some Kroil or other penetrating lube and let it set a few minutes :) Hope this helps

Ken

Thanks. I had the lower in a vice and tried to drive the pin out both ways but it wasn't moving. I've seen pictures of where the tab snapped off - don't want that to happen. I'll try some WD-40 and see if that helps.

As a note, I "think" tangodown has a little plastic punch for moving stubborn takedown pins that when set under the "tab", JUST out of the path of the pin, supports things very nicely on the bench. Been using that technique for a long time. Removing or installing the trigger guard pin isn't exactly vise friendly :)

I belive I have some delrin scraps I could make you a quick'n'dirty support block out of if'n you're really worried about it.

Ken

Edited by m134b

You would think someone would have a lower receiver block for removing those pins that supports the ears.

I would have thought that someone would have come up with a better solution than those f%$#ng roll pins by now. I absolutely hate them.

I actually like the Magpul stuff, Most of their stuff is a significant improvement over factory, or a lot of aftermarket for that matter... The one exception is their pistol grips. Never have liked how they felt. Tangodown Battlegrip BG-16 IMO has'em all beat.

Sorry for the thread driftage...

ANYWAY, as to a solution bettter than the roll pin... well, I suppose you could drill/ream/tap for a small shoulder bolt of some sort. but then if the threads strip you're SOL... Maybe a detent system as at the front of the trigger guard?

Ken