Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super & 650

E5MC

New to 38Super. Can you guy's tell me what dies I need? I'm thinking of picking up a Redding set with the Competition seating die. I will be swapping between 9MM and 38 Super on my 650.

Since you are swapping get two tool heads and two complete sets of die except for the powder die. You don't want to keep adjusting and readjusting. If you are shooting the same bullets all the time the Redding is a waste of money. Get Hornady die and they have a screw down on the bullet seater its just not graudated but for $20 you can get the micrometer top that fits all seating die.

Thanks CocoBolo. Do most guy's just use 9MM bullets? I was planning on ordering some 130gr .356 round nose bullets. These rounds will be used in a Wilson CQB in 38 Super with an additional barrel in 9MM. It would be great if I can just use MG 124gr for both. Planning on IDPA and USPSA and steel shooting as it appears to be growing in my area. Been using N320 for 9MM, probably switch to TiteGroup for both 9 and Super.

While 38 super is technically .356, most if not all new 38 supers have been chambered for .355 (9mm). The best way to find out what the best bullet size for your barrel would be to ask the manufacturer or slug the barrel. I'm pretty certain that .355 will work just fine for your gun though. Without a comp, the super (or even the 9mm barrel) is gonna be pretty snappy at major PF in USPSA matches.

Thanks GrumpyOne. I'll call Wilson in the morning. At this time I have no plans to shoot major with this pistol. I did find out that Wilson uses the 124gr Hornady XTP for their accuracy load with TiteGroup powder for the Super. I can't afford to shoot that bullet exclusively but I'll try some for sure.

Edited by E5MC

Thanks CocoBolo. Do most guy's just use 9MM bullets? I was planning on ordering some 130gr .356 round nose bullets. These rounds will be used in a Wilson CQB in 38 Super with an additional barrel in 9MM. It would be great if I can just use MG 124gr for both. Planning on IDPA and USPSA and steel shooting as it appears to be growing in my area. Been using N320 for 9MM, probably switch to TiteGroup for both 9 and Super.

I use 125 Zero JHP. Most recent 38 Supers are .355. I've used N320 and TiteGroup in 9 mm and prefer the N320. TiteGroup burns very hot and you need to watch it when you practice or you will fry the gun. In 9 mm 4.3gr TG with a 125 gives you about 132 pf, you can drop that down for steel.

Since you have a good gun and barrel I would recommend http://www.bayoubullets.net. These little green bullets fly faster with less powder, don't smoke. I've used them in both 9 mm and 38 Super, albiet in super you need to load long out to 1.260. I pushed them 1400fps in my open gun and no residue or dodo in the gun. Since you don't have a comp and you want to shoot fast then heavier bullet, fast powder like a limited or production gun.. Moly or cast bullets take less powder so less recoil... I like the 125's in 9 but some shoot 147's which I find sluggish.

Thanks GrumpyOne. I'll call Wilson in the morning. At this time I have no plans to shoot major with this pistol. I did find out that Wilson uses the 124gr Hornady XTP for their accuracy load with TiteGroup powder for the Super. I can't afford to shoot that bullet exclusively but I'll try some for sure.

Well, I just put the snappy part in cause in post #3 you said you'd be shooting USPSA with it. You can shoot minor, but it would/will be harder on you in scoring.

/snip I did find out that Wilson uses the 124gr Hornady XTP for their accuracy load with TiteGroup powder for the Super /snip

hornday only manufactures the xtp in .355, so if wilson says that's the bullet they reccomend for their pistol, then it's a pretty good bet it's a .355 bore, not a .356. congrats on the new blaster.

-jared