Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mods for 9x23 in 38 super Witness match

For those of you who have shot 9x23 in your 38S Witness:

Did you ream your chamber or use as is? What Wolff spring did you replace with? Did you have to tune the extractor? What kind of accuracy are you getting? Does the 38S magazine feed okay?

Thanks!

I don't know much about the Witness platform but do know the 9x23.

From what I have seen the 9mm and 38 Super extractor is the same part. The 9mm upper will be no problem with the 9x23 but the Super may need to be tuned. I have a S&W 38 Super with the external extractor and it feeds 9x23 just fine.

Most 38 Super factory barrels will accept the 9x23. If they won't chamber then a reamer would be the cure.

As far as spings go, I would start at 14 lbs and go from there. If it's slinging brass, try a 16.

I don't know much about the Witness platform but do know the 9x23.

From what I have seen the 9mm and 38 Super extractor is the same part. The 9mm upper will be no problem with the 9x23 but the Super may need to be tuned. I have a S&W 38 Super with the external extractor and it feeds 9x23 just fine.

Most 38 Super factory barrels will accept the 9x23. If they won't chamber then a reamer would be the cure.

As far as spings go, I would start at 14 lbs and go from there. If it's slinging brass, try a 16.

Thanks! It sounds like I can get a 9mm upper, ream the barrel, replace the spring, and run it with 38 super magazines. Is EAA still selling caliber conversions for the Match or do I need to find one elsewhere?

Finding a chamber reamer that will fit into the polygonal rifling will be the major hurdle to over come with using a 9mm barrel.

Rich

Yep,.I agree. I am using some 147gr bullets that I got as remanufactured ammo. Bullets Ogive is too high. I can use longer OAL loaded ammo from the same manufacturer with a speer or MG bullet,...BUT,...the high ogive ammo only works in one of my tanfoglio's...!?

If I could slightly ream it, it would take that headache away. Funny,...but the glock and beretta had no issues digesting. CZ was a nightmare.

Finding a chamber reamer that will fit into the polygonal rifling will be the major hurdle to over come with using a 9mm barrel.

Rich

Yep,.I agree. I am using some 147gr bullets that I got as remanufactured ammo. Bullets Ogive is too high. I can use longer OAL loaded ammo from the same manufacturer with a speer or MG bullet,...BUT,...the high ogive ammo only works in one of my tanfoglio's...!?

If I could slightly ream it, it would take that headache away. Funny,...but the glock and beretta had no issues digesting. CZ was a nightmare.

So if I'd be better off using a 38 Super barrel, where can I find a conversion in this caliber for my Match?

The reamer is going to cut the chamber as well as the throat. To my way of thinking, I don't believe it matters what kind of rifling is in the barrel.

A pointed bullet is always going to be able to be seated to a longer overall length than a more blunt one. That particular 147 gr bullet will have to be seated deeper to use in that gun.

I have fired Winchester hollow point factory 9x23 ammo through my unmodified standard Witness .38 Super. I was just shooting it to see how it was for combat accuracy and function. I fired 100 rounds flawlessly. They all hit right in the middle, just like my .38 Super ammo did. There was a bit more kick and bang, but I expected that. You can sure tell that it's a hot round.

• 3 weeks later...