Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Loader

reefteach

I have a "hand me down" 550B which I will use this summer to make some light .40 loads. When looking at the data charts, I wonder how much of a difference it makes who is making the bullet, and what type it is. It is hard to find the exact charts for manufacturers bullets and specific powder types. So here is the big question:

CAN I USE ANYBODY'S BULLET GRAIN DATA FOR A CERTAIN POWDER?

ie: if using ranier 155tcj, can I use winchester 155 lrn data to load it?

I don't have access to a chrono.

thanks

Guest Larry Cazes

Well, Yes......But there will be some variation from the published velocities so remember to always start out with a low charge weight and work up towards the max load carefully until you reach the desired velocity or PF. Generally, plated and jacketed bullets will require more powder to achieve a given velocity then cast lead. I would NOT handload without a chronograph. You can get a new Shooting Chrony for under $100.00. If you can't afford a chronograph yourself or use a buddy's, then maybe you shouldn't be handloading.

Larry

I would NOT handload without a chronograph.  You can get a new Shooting Chrony for under $100.00.  If you can't afford a chronograph yourself or use a buddy's, then maybe you shouldn't be handloading.

That's not necessarily true. I handloaded for years using data from Hodgdons and Speer loading manuals and never had any problems. If anything, the book loads are on the conservative side. You do not need a chrono to handload, but you need access to one if you want to shoot USPSA or any other type of discipline. Actually, very few people outside of competitive shooters use a chrono.

So here is the big question:

CAN I USE ANYBODY'S BULLET GRAIN DATA FOR A CERTAIN POWDER?

ie: if using ranier 155tcj, can I use winchester 155 lrn data to load it?

If this is the specific question, no other differences in componenets (i.e. same powder, brass, primers, o.a.l. etc.) I'd say that, with due caution, you can but you'll end up with a slower velocity: a lead bullet will usually require less powder than the same weight and shape jacketed bullet, since jacketed bullets have less friction in the barrel.

Anyway, as it has been suggested by Larry and in other different threads, you can't really reload without the help of a chrono: have it bought, borrowed from a friend, find a club that has one for members use, or whatever else, but always check your loads with a chrono.

Apart from this, yes, there are differences in bullets loads from a maker to another and from a shape to another: the major one lies in the lenght of the cylindrical part of the bullet; I mean, the longer this part is, the more friction the bullet will have in the barrel, the higher the pressures (and velocities) that will be generated.

To make an example: a TC lead bullet of the very same weight, same lenght, loaded with the same load of same powder to the same o.a.l. as another whose shape is RN (lead), will probably have a cylindrical body longer than the RN one, thus it will chrono at a higher velocity (and pressure).

Thanks folks, for the good advice.

My club does have a chrono I can use, and now I plan on using it. I don't plan on working up heavy loads though. I just want light loads for minor production division.

Just some background: I shot USPSA for the first time this year and am hooked. I even joined. My uncle stopped reloading a few years ago, so he sent me his 550B with all accesories. I've been doing lots of research on reloading before I make my first rounds.

Thanks again

reefteach,

When comparing load data just be careful when going from lead to jacketed or vice versa. Lead seal better than jacketed and with the same amount of a given powder, will usually result in higher pressures and velocities.

This was touched on in another post but get a reloading manual and READ IT.

If your uncle had one and includes it, you are in business.

Remember that the 40 is very OAL sensitive - pressures can skyrocket with a difference of a VERY few hundredths.

Unless cast from the very same brand of molds in the case of cast bullets, every manufacturer's bullet will vary in bullet length and bullet profile/ogive. That means you cannot expect to load two different brands of 40 bullet over the same powder charge and primer at the same OAL and have the same pressure, because the longer bullet will be deeper in the case, causing pressure to rise.

If you set up one bullet that is different from the recipe you are adapting, you can adjust the OAL to compensate for the different length (.020 longer for bullet that is .020 longer, for example) and get ROUGHLY the same pressure. Of course, it needs to work in your gun's chamber/leade/etc.

Even the bullet base has an effect. If you load a flat based bullet and a FMJ bullet both with the same bullet length, to the same OAL, you have less powder space with the flat based bullet, because the crimped over jacket on the FMJ effectly makes the base hollow.

If you ever change to a bullet with a different profile, even if it is the same length as the one you used before, you will need to adjust or even change the seating stem, since the new bullet will fit in the stem differently and give a different OAL than your previous load.