Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan weight questions

Just picked up a Trojan 9mm for an ESP gun. My question is, after adding an ambi safety and S&A magwell, will I be flirting with the 43 ounce weight limit? Does the aluminum S&A make much of a difference? The gun has the stock full length guide rod.

Just picked up a Trojan 9mm for an ESP gun. My question is, after adding an ambi safety and S&A magwell, will I be flirting with the 43 ounce weight limit? Does the aluminum S&A make much of a difference? The gun has the stock full length guide rod.

My Trojan (5" .45 acp) weighed in right at 42.0 oz, with a steel S&A magwell, ambi safety, steel FLGR, G-10 Lazza grips, and a CMC magazine. So in that configuration it is fine for USPSA Single Stack Division (43 oz), but I switched the steel magwell to the S&A aluminum one to be under 41 oz for IDPA's CDP Div. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the steel and aluminum magwell, but I'm pretty sure it's at least an ounce.

I'd be willing to wager that you'll be under 43 oz because G-10 grips weigh quite a bit more than the stock wooden grips.

Edited by 2MoreChains

The G-10 grips are heavier than the stock wood ones, but the .45 barrel is lighter than the 9mm.

My 9mm Trojan with ambi safety, stock guide rod, stock grips (sanded smooth), grip tape, and Dawson ice magwell weighs 42.9 OZ with an empty Wilson ETM mag. My guess is that the steel S&A is heavier than the Dawson Ice, but that is a guess.

My Trojan 9mm weighed in at 42.7 ounces with the stock grips, STI ambi safety and magwell with a Wilson .45 mag (all I had available at the time). I haven't weighed it with the VZ Aliens (canvas micarta, not the G-10) and a Tripp 9mm mag, but I'm sure it's cutting it close.

40S&W Trojan:

Abi safety, full length steel guide rod, steel S&A magwell, G10 Alien grip, and Tripp system mag 42.3 oz @ A6 / 42.2 oz on my balance scale at work.

Banks

I posted the weight of the aluminum S+A magwell some time ago; it was A LOT less than the steel one.

Call S+A; they're the ones that told me (they knew it off the top of their head) and they were extremely nice people.

FY42385