Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for any and all advice

chbrow10

This is Stage 10 at the 2009 Gator classic. The fat guy in the red shirt is me. You can't see the targets too well, but I would appreciate any comments on movement, grip, stance mag reloads whatever.

Thanks, Chris

Do you usually shoot open? The reason I ask is that you have a lot of bed at the elbows. I usually see this with folks shooting open because of the height of the optic. That really allows a lot of leverage for the gun to "bounce" in recoil. It looks like the gun is coming back where it should but is taking a long time to do it. Check out the first part of this video where Bob Vogel explains his thoughts on it.

First thing is that RO needs to get in proper position. I thought he was gonna chop block you as you ran to right he was almost "downrange"

Well you have so much opportunity for more speed. Its not about shooting faster though, Pick that gun up faster dry fire will help with that. You need to "burst" out of positions and move!! then "glide" into next one, If you are not shooting ,RUN or DIG. Don't overdo anything though.

You need to pick a spot and setup and move to it and be ready to shoot as soon as you can. Example is in third position you did a little two step cause you didn't have your spot. Thats a wasted second and its maybe more x how many positions? How would you like your run 6 seconds faster?. Reaching for a mag and not reloading is self explantory.

Well you did well on the star points for that. Try to keep both hands on the gun and it near or mounted during short movements, be ready to shoot when you hit the next spot and land there with gun pointed at first objective when possible. You seemed to be hunting for targets, it is hard to visualize but its a great skill that will help you thur the COF much faster. Shooting speed, take the time you need depending on the difficulty of the shot, keep making lots of A's.

I shoot open and limited. I found your arm position to be a little short for an open gun, when you short arm an open gun you will lose the dot. You can get lazy and short arm a limited or production gun, and there isn't much of a penalty, but in open you will be doing the C-more shuffle.

Edited by CocoBolo

The one thing that stuck out to me was you didn't seem too sure about where you where going next. You need to know before you start shooting exactly where your feet are going to need to be and where the targets are when you are in that position. Just buring your stage tactics in your mind could save you a lot of time.

I had a brain freeze moment with the one handed thing, of course, which cost me time. I did know where I was going, but I have not learned to memorize how many steps to take between positions yet. I know I need to work on that.

I was unaware of the arm position thing, I'll try that.

"Well you have so much opportunity for more speed" I think that is the nicest way anyone ever told me that I was really slow. ;-)

Who wouldn't want thier time to be 6 seconds faster?

Thanks,

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

I agree about the arm position, I think you could cut down a lot of recoil and speed up your splits if got up on the gun more. You might want to experiment with rolling your elbows out so everything is in line with recoil of the gun. I like my offhand elbow higher than my shooting hand elbow. People are different though, and you need to find what works best for you.