Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 627-2

randy01

Don't get it with the idea of putting in an 8 shot cylinder later. The 8 shot cylinder, and therefore the frame hole and barrel are offset .030 higher than on a 6 shot N Frame. The holes in an 8 shot would be way out of alignment with the barrel. The 627 8 shot frame will not convert to anything else. A 6 shot N frame can be made to any other caliber 6 shot,

but not an 8 shot.

I have an 8 round 627 Pro and find it far more capable than I am and perfect for steel. Unless your heart is set on a comp'd gun, I suspect it's difficult to feel much difference.

____________________________________________________________________________________________-

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

I wouldn't bother with a 6-shot N-frame .357 for any competition application now that the 8-shot guns are available. You'll want the 8 shots for steel or ICORE, and if your intention is to shoot USPSA with it, you're much better off with a 625, 25-2, or 610.

I have a 625PC for IPSC I just wanted a 357 to shoot light target loads for Match 5. So I'm only allowed to load 6 so an 8 shot would take soma extra time since I would have to close the cylinder over the correct chamber. I was origanally looking to buy a 686 and have the cylinder machined but after seeing this one I'm in doubt. Seeing it is the same frame and ballence as my 625.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about PPC. Get the 686, whichever feels comfortable and have Tom do his work. My 686 is very accurate with 158 grain lead RN and .38 Solo 1000. You are probably going to be shooting lighter wadcutter ammo, can't help you out there, I've never shot any.

I have a 625PC for IPSC I just wanted a 357 to shoot light target loads for Match 5.

My bad.....good reminder that there are other games out there beyond those we talk about most around here.