Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 vs 1.5 low power scopes

Corey

I've never used aburris but I wouldn't be scared to by one. My dad raised me on leupolds nut now I realize that there are a lot of other good or better option out there too. Find what works for your budget and "looks" right to you. I think optics ate kind of like golf clubs. If you don't perceive it as being good you won't like it.

For me weaver has always been a cheap scope so I don't think I could ever love shooting with one even if they came put with the best scope on tbe market. I'm not saying their nit great scopes they just wouldn't give me confidence when I was shooting and confidence in tour gear is very important to me.

If money is tight and the XTR is a little out of budget, check out the Euro-Diamond 1-4. You can get a German duplex reticle, and have two reference points for hold overs. Of course it is not a bdc, but the price reflects that. Just another option.

I put the Burris 1.5 to 6 on my AR and shot a match with it today. On targets out past ~ 20 yards I don't think I lost much at all to my Meopta. On targets past 50 it gives up nothing and at 100 and more it really shines. The first time I hit an array at 5 to 7 yards it felt like I was searrching for the next target a bit but after a stage or two it did not seem to bother me that much.

Never thought I would replace the Meopta but the 1.5x6 Burris will be on my gun with matches with longer range targets... Really like the reticle a lot more than I thought I would and the hash marks really are great on stuff at 300 and more. I will be shooting it at La Rue........

I put the Burris 1.5 to 6 on my AR and shot a match with it today.........

Is the reticle as bright as the Meopta? Is the illum on the 1.5-6 visible in bright daylight?

During the match I never thought to turn it on..... The horseshoe reticle is really fast on target acquisition and I did not try the red illumination feature.

I did check it out after the match and the answer is No.. in the context you are asking.....

The reticle is not visible as a glowing bright red horseshoe around a center dot. What it does is - on a dark target the "cross-hair" bracketing turns light gray to provide a contrast against a dark target to center the horseshoe and center dot on a darker background. The horseshoe bracket its self and the center dot turns a kinda dull red against the same background that makes the cross hair bracketing appear a light gray. On a light colored target the cross-hair bracketing and the horseshoe and center dot appear very dull red to near solid black with the illumination turned all the way up.

It is not like a C more with a bright dot to focus on. It is very fast to acquire a target with the horse shoe to "center" your attention on the target area you are aiming for quickly and the dot in the center of the horseshoe is centered within the horseshoe area. It really seems like the transition from the larger horseshoe part of the reticle to the center aiming dot is very naturally "intuitive" and quick. Or maybe a better way to say it is - It is a fast reticle close and it has a very nice and natural transition to a more specific smaller aim point at distance.

I am really impressed with the scope.....

Hello: The Weaver V3 1-3 is hard to beat for the money. I have 2 of them. One sits on my Mech-Tech/Glock 9mm carbine. Perfect for the Texas Carbine Championships 2 years in a row :cheers: The other Weaver goes on my AR and Ruger 10/22 for my sons to use. My other scope I use is the Meopta K-Dot and I like it alot as well but it is heavy. As others have suggested good glass is hard to beat but man does it cost :roflol: Thanks, Eric

well my plan it to use ,y current AR setup (16" BCM) as an intro to 3gun rifle as well as maybe pick off a coyote or two on some land we own. Probably out to a couple hundred yards is all for now, unless i run into some really long 3 gun COFs

My Ar is set up the same way you want to set up your AR. I use it for 3 gunning and Coyote hunting. The scope that I run is the new Black Bird 1.5 to 8 with the new H58 ret. I have little to know problem shooting the close targets, and I love the extra power of the scope for Coyote hunting. I you are going to use the scope for multiple uses thought more than the power you need to look hard at second of first focal plain scopes, because backed to a lower power with a second focal plain scope you will not hit where you think you are.

If you do end up with a 1.5 powered scope and just don't like it then for the really close stuff you could always get a 45 off set and mount iron sights for speed work, and it works great for yots that get in to close on you. You don't have to screw with the power.

• 3 weeks later...

Burris scopes today are what Lepould of yesterday used to be is the general consensus from M4Carbine and its abundunt of "Industry Professionals", at least thats what I gather.

I ran a 1-4x20 VXII for a while and it is deffinately NOT a true 1x on the low end.... At least 1.2,1.3. That Burris XTR you ordered will serve you good as it gets nothing but rave reviews from "real world shooters" that work overseas and from some of the competition shooters that are over there on M4C....

Now if you go to indianagunowners.com they will run you off for even suggesting that Burris XTR's or Nightforce or anything other than Nikon or Lepould should be used..... haha

I know some folks have commented on "1x" not being 1x on some scopes and indicating that this is a bad thing. In talking with an actual scope designer, I was told that true 1x in a scope does funny things with human eyes and that a 1.1-1.2x will actually appear 1x to most people when they are looking through the scope and have both sides open better than a true 1x. All that, just to say that it may not be a bad thing when you see scopes that aren't an exact 1x at "1x".