Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Diamondback

Doggorloader

I need some advice.

(warning mode on)

Please don't misinterpret the intention of this post. This gun is not for sale.

(warning mode off)

I have been given the chance to look at a mid 80's blue Colt Diamondback 22 LR 6" revolver by a close neighbor who is selling it for his sister who's husband died.

He is asked me to see if I can get someone at my club to get an interest.

My question is, since it is in pristine shape, I might want it myself. Is this gun a good find ? Is it worth more or equal to a similar new 22 or is it just another used gun? Although I didn't really have an interest in owning a 22 this one sure looks sweet.

Dog

IMO, the Colt Python and Diamondback are classics and are a great find. As a shooter they might be overpriced, but for collector value and something you can hand down to your kids, I'd say get it. You can check auction arms or gunbroker and get plenty of ideas as to pricing, grading, etc. Good luck.

If I had a crack at an old Colt 22 revo at a fair price, I'd probably buy it. If it's even in moderately decent shape, it's better than any new 22 revo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you check the lockup on a Colt with the hammer cocked. As long as the lockup is tight with no major cylinder endplay, you're probably in business.

It's an heirloom quality gun, but I'd have no reservations about shooting the crap out of it.

I've since found out that the serial # puts it manufactured in 1984 and they quit making them in 1986.

It has an Elliason adjustable rear sight which was an optional add on from the factory and is a plus I'm told.

It is in such good shape I don't think it's been fired more than a couple of times. My Smith 629 had more light scratches when I got it new. I took the grips (original with the medalions) off and it was clean as a whistle. The bluing is like a mirror and is the best I've seen on a revolver.

The lockup with the hammer down and trigger pulled is tight as a drum, no movement at all.

I know you guys here this a million times but at $500 is it:

A -Pretty nice find, buy it if no one else is interested, I'll probably be glad I did.

B - Dicker and see what happens.

C - Pass, it's just an overpriced collector's gun.

D- Jump on it with all fours because I will hate myself someday if I don't.

Dog