Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major ammo sources

Rob Tompkins

.355 Super is Atlanta Arms & Ammo's version of 9 Major. Starline makes the brass for AA&A and it has the same exterior dimensions as other 9x19 brass. I haven't been able to get one to section and see what the case wall thickness in the web is like, but they may have beefed it up the way they did to Super brass when they came out with 38SC...maybe not necessary as normal 9x19 is pretty thick through the web as it is. R,

Rob - Congrats on the purchase. I looked at that gun real hard and seems like a good one to me, I was tempted to jump on it myself. 9 major is just a 9 mm with a butt load of powder in it. Where the trick comes in is tuning the load to your gun, now if your buying ammo then you will have to tune the gun to the load. The dark side is full of gotya's like that. To get the most out of your gun the load and gun have to complement each other. The only way an ammo supplier can make sure you get a mojor load is to pump it way up, and to use a little faster powder than may work well in your gun. Differences in open guns shooting the same bullet etc can vary in the powder charge up to one grain. Non compensated guns also vary but not nearly as much.

I would suggest that you get a reloader and start working up a load that works in your gun for your style of shooting. The best cheap set up I can think of is the Square Deal B from Dillon.

I pickup range brass in 9 mm (try to spot the once fired) I load them once and leave them. I paint them red with Dykem so I don't pick them up.

True enough. The only reason I was looking to "buy" ammo was all my reloading gear (I have a full house Hornady LNL set up w/ case feeder, etc.) is in long term storage and I won't be reloading again until this fall. I fully intend to tune the load to the gun but just wanted something on hand to play around with. I have some lose-packed Speer (almost) +P I'll try out. If it functions the gun (good comp effect or not) I may give Open-Minor a try for a few months until I can get a load worked up.

Glad we didn't get in a bidding war! If the price went up I probably would have gone for the really nice SVI Infinity that had a reserve for $2250, which is what I think it sold at.

9 major needs an aggressive comp the SV gun's comp didn't impress me. I have 2 1/2 open guns now, after selling 3, but seems I am always looking for a great deal, like a woman shopping for shoes when she has too many to fit in the closet. Hope it works out for you. Start with 9# spring and get some plain 9 mm ammo, it will probably run it, if it feels a little sluggish drop the sping another pound, till it feels good.

• 4 months later...

Got off the phone with Starline. Minimum order for custom headstamp brass would be 100,000 pieces with a $750 tooling charge for the head stamp (but then it's yours and no one else can use it). So if someone wants a 9mm Major headstamp, minimum will run you over $10,000 paid in full in advance. Good luck!

Top Brass (Scharch) doesn't do custom stamps.

• 10 months later...

Old Thread update.

Just got off the phone with them.

Atlanta Arms no longer produces the 355 Super.

Hmmmm....

I got like 1000 of them in the basement from when I first went open nine major, before I had a load figured out.

I assume the sales volume just wasn't there to keep it up.

BB