Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moving JP trigger group to a different receiver

chp5

I want to take my existing JP fire control group out of one lower and put it into another lower (my newly registered SBR). Is it as simple as just replacing it - out will I need to readjust it? Thanks.

Maybe, maybe not, more than likely not. Do it the right way, heat up the adjustment screws and reset it. Use the video on JP's website if need be for the proper adjustment. The rear of your trigger was filed down to fit that specific safety lever in that specific reciever so the biggest thing that will be an issue is if the safety is working properly. Worst case,

you buy a JP adjustable safety to compensate for the slack..

Otherwise the safety can let the trigger move too much, with the minimal JP sear engagement it already has, and it will fire with the safety on.

Edited by P.Pres

Do it the right way, heat up the adjustment screws and reset it.

Thanks for all the replies. Will a heat gun heat it up enough?

It might, best some sort of propane or butane torch, or after removing the trigger, use a lighter. When they let go they will turn with very minimal pressure, dont strip them out, just apply more heat..

Do it the right way, heat up the adjustment screws and reset it.

Thanks for all the replies. Will a heat gun heat it up enough?

Bic Lighter works fine. Make sure you heat them enough to break down the loctite. The hex size is so small either the hex key or the adjustment screw tend to strip easily.

The hex size is so small either the hex key or the adjustment screw tend to strip easily.

Very true. Make sure you clean all the residue from the Loctite off the screws and out of the holes very well or when you are trying to set it up in the new lower you'll strip the screws or .050 hex key.

True Punisher is right and a good tool for cleaning the female threads is a 4-40 carbide tap. Run that through the screw collars (carefully) and it will remove the old Loctite residue.

To reiterate what others have said, plan on completely re-installing the trigger group in another receiver. If the parts all drop in without re-adjustment, it is pure luck. That being said, good luck.

mine swapped into a new lower, but it is more of a really nice tactical weight trigger than a super light competition set up. My pre travel and ove travel could be reduced, but Id rather have a little too much thsn "perfect" anyway (for my taste)

I function checked mine and it seems OK, but Im going to run a few boxes of ammo through it next weekend to confirm this