Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Link

mai

Why don’t any company build barrel-link for 1911 clone that longer than 0.288 inches ( no.5). I ‘d like to have one, let say 0.298 or 0.308, for fitting my very old and loose STI. You might surprise, mark on the frame still has “Trip Research” and label on the grips is TRI. Can I make the links by myself? What material is proper to do so? What kind of heat treatment should I do? Will the modification do harmful for my gun by any mean?

Thanks for helping

Mai

I have seen links up to .299 in BROWNELLS catalog.

They are not that hard to make, though I can't help you much on the steel and heat treat. I made them a time or two when I did not want to wait on a mail order, for the last part to get a gun running.

Using such a long link will cause trouble in fitting the barrel to link down properly. I would look into why such a long link is needed.

With all the years I've been playing around with 1911s I still haven't had to use the longest link available from Wilson Combat. In fact I still have it in my parts bin just in case that very barrel slide frame combo calls for it. You will have problems with the unlocking if the link is too long. Hopefully you'll know how to check for it before firing it so you don't end up tearing up the top lugs of the barrel, or the slide lugs. Goodluck. josh

Well! Joshua, I am very novice for gun fitting. I plan to use the dinosaur age STI as my experiment and learning tool. The pistol is very loose and inaccurate at all, but good part of it is the gun never jam. Right now the barrel is a bit low and I can move the barrel relative to slide while the gun is ready condition. What I want to do is push barrel up as high as possible in order to fit barrel with slide. Probably this is some kind of my miss understanding.

I hope you will give me more directions to work with.

mai

You might get a little more accuracy with your longer link, but it isn't the right way to do this. If the link raises the bbl to lock tighter, it will also make the bbl extend more towards the magwell opening. You might get a lot of failure to feeds. If the bbl is not good right now, why not try to weld the lugs and recut them for a proper fit. I am a firm believer in experimenting with worn equipment, but go ahead and try it the right way.

Mike

If you are trying to get some accuracy by forcing the barrel lugs up into the slide lugs via a longer link then you may just get the added accuracy, but only for a short time. A properly fitted 1911 barrel for accuracy and reliability needs properly fitted bottom lugs to the slide stop, top lugs need to fit correctly in the slide lugs, a proper length link, and last but not the least the barrel hood should fit just right into the breach face area. A properly fitted barrel will not keep it's accuracy after so many rounds fired through the gun, so why do you think a longer link would help any? If that longer link ends up stopping the cycling instead of the barrel and frame then you are asking for a link to break. It's been mentioned, get the barrel lugs welded up and refitted or just get a brand new barrel and have that fitted to your slide. It's not worth dickering with the link. josh