Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

V-Tac vs Magpul MS2

I dont think I have ever seen anyone who I would consider a great 3 gun shooter really using a sling during a match.

If they were, they were very much the exception, not the norm.

Maybe under certain circumstances you need one. ALso I have not been to a 3 gun match where transition from a long gun to a short gun was allowed.

this is just my limited in my experience...

I have seen Kurt Miller, Mike Voigt and Bennie Cooley (and me!) use a sling at a 3 gun match. It usually happens in situations where the shooter has to engage a target of some difficulty from an unsupported kneeling, squatting, or sitting position.

I have seen Kurt Miller, Mike Voigt and Bennie Cooley (and me!) use a sling at a 3 gun match. It usually happens in situations where the shooter has to engage a target of some difficulty from an unsupported kneeling, squatting, or sitting position.

Kelly, is your front sling mount on the side of your hand guard, toward the front? (I assume this is where it should be to wrap it around the support hand and pull the AR tight into the shoulder.)

I prefer that the forward sling mount be at the end of the handguard and not towards the receiver.

I also try to have both a VTAC sling and a ching sling in my shooting kit.

Where are your center and rear attachment points for the Ching?

• 2 weeks later...

VTAC all the way.

I've seen three to four MS2s come apart in the class and I might get chastised by Magpul fans on other sites, but I haven't seen a decent enough practical need for a single point setup. Yes, I realize that the MS2 can switch to a 2-point "just like that."

I used to belong to the single point fan club, but got tired of getting staff-whaffs by my own carbine when the rifle would hang.

I've seen three to four MS2s come apart in the class 

Out of curiosity, how did they fail? I have one of their slings and I like it, though I admit I haven't used it a lot. So far the only problem I've ran into is that the webbing can get twisted inside the adjustment buckles but I couldn't tell you how that happens because I haven't done it, other people have done it to my sling when playing with it. I'm also a bit worried that the quick release might be to easy to release if you snag your gear on something, but so far no problems. 

V-Tac on an ACE.

When I set mine up a bought a bulk pack a swivel ends, so I put one everywhere but on top of the stock, I thought it would get in the way there.

The spot I ended up liking the most, was the one spot I thought I'd never use. But by running it through the stock to the off side, it stays out of the way of my hand and doesn't get in the way when I shoulder it. (cross chest, muzzle down)

Pardon my crotch. ;)

sling.jpg

Edited by cas

I added a sling stud at the 9:00 o'clock position about and inch forward of the barrel nut on my Clark carbon fiber hand guard. (I can always use the 6:00 o'clock stud at the front of the hand guard if I want to wrap the sling around my hand for precision.)

For the rear attachment point...I wonder if I could drill a hole and mount a sling stud to stick out to the inside of the middle of the butt plate of the ACE, and just attach a swivel - that might work nicely (?)

Probably not. I would not compromise the integrity of the tube structure by drilling a hole...

I'm going to give this a try. Right now my lower is with Firebird getting a JP trigger installed (and my upper is getting a new 18" barrel), so Jim is going to do the drilling/tapping for me.

The base plate of the ACE stock is 3/8" thick solid aluminum, so I really don't think a stud hole will result in any degradation in strength.

As I've mentioned, I really like the fit of the ACE stock, so I'm glad to have figured out a way to make it work with a side sling mount at the butt plate. I'll post some pictures when I get it all together. B)

V-Tac on an ACE.

When I set mine up a bought a bulk pack a swivel ends, so I put one everywhere but on top of the stock, I thought it would get in the way there.

The spot I ended up liking the most, was the one spot I thought I'd never use. But by running it through the stock to the off side, it stays out of the way of my hand and doesn't get in the way when I shoulder it. (cross chest, muzzle down)

Pardon my crotch. ;)

sling.jpg

This looks good! Your crotch is pardoned.

I added a sling stud at the 9:00 o'clock position about and inch forward of the barrel nut on my Clark carbon fiber hand guard. (I can always use the 6:00 o'clock stud at the front of the hand guard if I want to wrap the sling around my hand for precision.)

For the rear attachment point...I wonder if I could drill a hole and mount a sling stud to stick out to the inside of the middle of the butt plate of the ACE, and just attach a swivel - that might work nicely (?)

Probably not. I would not compromise the integrity of the tube structure by drilling a hole...

I'm going to give this a try. Right now my lower is with Firebird getting a JP trigger installed (and my upper is getting a new 18" barrel), so Jim is going to do the drilling/tapping for me.

The base plate of the ACE stock is 3/8" thick solid aluminum, so I really don't think a stud hole will result in any degradation in strength.

As I've mentioned, I really like the fit of the ACE stock, so I'm glad to have figured out a way to make it work with a side sling mount at the butt plate. I'll post some pictures when I get it all together. B)

OK-just remember how you clear some jams-the butt slam.

I've seen three to four MS2s come apart in the class 

Out of curiosity, how did they fail? I have one of their slings and I like it, though I admit I haven't used it a lot. So far the only problem I've ran into is that the webbing can get twisted inside the adjustment buckles but I couldn't tell you how that happens because I haven't done it, other people have done it to my sling when playing with it. I'm also a bit worried that the quick release might be to easy to release if you snag your gear on something, but so far no problems. 

Personal Observation from a LMS Defense class:

Two Magpul MS2 slings came apart resulting in carbines falling to the deck. In both cases, the strap that loops through the D-ring and then back through the tri-glide buckle, loosened itself out of the the buckle (see attached pic). At the very least, users need to be aware that the strap's end needs to be looped back through the buckle one more time or the strap's end needs to be taped in place.

Personal Observation from a Stone Cobra Tactical Carbine 1 & 2 class:

Same as above.

post-24416-127248994912_thumb.png

• 7 months later...

My "workplace" experience with the single-point sling confirms what everyone here has already said.

I love ATAS, I'm stealing that.

But in all seriousness, the jewels did not like the single point sling. For a flat range environment doing drills, it works great, but for moving and shooting, there is nothing better than the quick-adjust two-point. I have personally used the Vickers sling, and I know a lot of guys who use a VTAC, they seem about the same in function.