Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting For Me

Coming into shooting sports, I started with Cowboy Action Shooting. Being a "path less traveled" type of person, I started off shooting Gunfighter style (shooting one revolver from each hand alternately [most of the time, as double duelist is required sometimes]). I had a number of well meaning people try and get me to shoot another style first, suggesting that I work up to Gunfighter. I considered doing so, but I decided that I would rather tackle Gunfighter off the bat than start with another style. It seemed to me that I would be spending time on another style that I could be using to get better at Gunfighter. I got pretty good at Gunfighter, before trying out IDPA.

In IDPA I started with Stock Service Pistol, and shot matches that year including the NC State Match in SSP. I changed to Stock Service Revolver because I began reloading .45 Colt, and did not want to reload another caliber at that time. I purchased a Ruger Alaskan (.454/.45 caliber, 2 1/2" barrel) revolver and began using that. I shot that year with that revolver including the NC State Match. It took some work to get good, and I added USPSA to the mix.

You can imagine the looks that I got and the surprised reactions from other shooters. Again several well meaning people tried to get me to change to a .45 ACP revolver that used moonclips, or an auto handgun due to the few shooters that shoot revolver. I persisted in using the Alaskan in IDPA and USPSA competitions, and have gotten pretty good with it. I realized one day that the weight of the Alaskan exceeded the weight limit for SSR and changed to shooting ESR in IDPA. This put me competing with moonclip using revolver shooters in both IDPA and USPSA, which I did not take as being too big a challenge. I did get a S&W 625 and used it in practice. I decided that I liked the feel and trigger pull of the Alaskan better.

My point in this topic is that I feel that shooters need to shoot for themselves. It is easy to get caught up in what the "larger group" of shooters prefer. I had to remain focused on what I wanted, as the suggestions that I was getting were not bad and the sources were trying to be totally helpful. At the end of the day you should be happy with what you do and have. Set your own goals and work to achieve them. Measure the advice that you get carefully, and use it to further your goals if it can be.

There are a lot of options out there to choose from, and the choice is yours in the end. The little thing that I have noticed is that it is easy to get off track and get their pretty quickly. Had I not listened to my own desires, I would not be having as much fun in shooting sports as I do.

Edited by Blueridge

You are certainly right, you should always shoot your own game, but if I wonder if by straying to far from the pack you are also missing a part of the competition aspect.

You are certainly right, you should always shoot your own game, but if I wonder if by straying to far from the pack you are also missing a part of the competition aspect.

Shooting revolver when most of the "pack" shoot autos does have me often shooting my own game. That said I don't feel that I am missing a part of the competition aspect of USPSA or IDPA. The unofficial overall (and often stage) results are posted that includes all of the shooters in the match. Just because I am shooting revolver and others are shooting autos I have found does not diminish the friendly competitive nature of all involved. I get to see some good auto shooters engaging stages with their varied equipment along with some good revolver shooters. I aspire to have as many auto shooters as well as revolver shooters lower on the standings than myself when the overall results are posted.

In my signature below it says, "Beaten paths are for beaten men". The rest of that quote is, "Never let your fears keep you from your dreams". I don't want people to be too afraid to pursue what they want because others have different desires. We all can enjoy the shooting sports no matter what aspect we choose (division, category, etc...).

I have been fortunate to shoot with people that show appreciation of the skills of all those shooting in the squads. Friendly competition abounds with those I have encountered, and we all want each other to do well. I shoot a revolver that is not generally used in competition (Ruger Alaskan), shooting a caliber that I have never seen used by anyone but myself in IDPA or USPSA (.45 Colt). It is my choice to do so, and I have garnered respect from others on my choice. Several have expressed that they feel that I would do better with other choices, but have never shown disapproval of my choice.

Edited by Blueridge

You sound like you think I'm disapproving of your choice, I certainly don't. My point is that if you want to be the best USPSA or IDPA revolver shooter you can be, at some point your choice of handgun will limit how far you can go. You can certainly focus on being the best you can be with the tool of your choice but if you want to focus on being the best you can be at the game that is when the competition element become more important.

At least the above is true is for me. As far as I'm concerned I'd welcome anyone who wants to shoot even if they prefer a Blackhawk. Hell, I'd place better if everyone used a Blackhawk :)