Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FMJ vs JHP vs CMJ

CZinSC

I’ve been shooting USPSA since last July and I’m now starting to get into reloading. Haven’t bought the press yet, still trying to decide. Anyway, the question I have is, what are the advantages/disadvantages between FMJ, CMJ vs JHP, for USPSA shooting? Not sure I’m going to load lead right away, and I’ve read mixed reviews on plated, so for now I’ll narrow my question to FMJ, CMJ vs JHP.

I’m shooting a CZ SP01, 9mm, Production class. If I were to go to a website like Montana Gold, and I was looking at 124gr bullets, why would I choose FMJ over JHP or vice versa? For argument’s sake let’s say the price is the same ( I know it isn’t, just trying to understand everyone’s decision if you excluded price as an option ).

Do you feel one type shoots better than the other? Does one type knock steal over better? Or does it really come down to price? ie: “An FMJ will shoot just as well as a JHP, but I can get FMJ’s for 1 cent less per bullet” You get the idea.

Productions a Division, not a class. ;)

JHP and CMJ do not have a lead exposed base, and will in most cases have less smoke. My 124gr JHP with titegroup does not smoke at all, but it will with a FMJ. I may also go along with the crowd that says JHP are more accurate than a FMJ, but I only load lead and JHP so I really cant confirm that in my guns.

Open shooters shoot JHP or CMJ because the part of the bullet that is exposed to hot gases is covered thus less likely to lead up the comp. You don't have that problem in production about the most major concern for you should be what feeds the most reliably in your gun and what is the most accurate.

Tim

I shoot production with 9mm and use Montana Gold 147 CMJ. For me the 147 grain (heavier bullet)seems to knock down steel better. That is important at local matches where the steel may not be set up as carefully as larger matches. I use CMJ because I load with titegroup which is a fast powder. The CMJ eliminates most smoke (lead dust). If you shoot a larger bullet with a fast powder out of production gun generally feels softer. A lighter bullet usually feels snappier. It all depends what you like. I hope this helps.

I have a slight preference for JHP and CMJ bullets because of the covered base, but find that I can use all three interchangeably.....

I went from loading Star 147 FMJ heads to Montana Gold 147 CMJ to Zero 147 JHP and didn't even adjust the press. Feeding, accuracy and power factor were not noticeably impacted -- but I did test for all three with the first 200 rounds loaded of a new bullet type....

JHP and CMJ do not have a lead exposed base, and will in most cases have less smoke. My 124gr JHP with titegroup does not smoke at all, but it will with a FMJ. I may also go along with the crowd that says JHP are more accurate than a FMJ, but I only load lead and JHP so I really cant confirm that in my guns.

+1 JHP's seem to be a bit more accurate in my guns.

I meant to say I shoot Production "with" class! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, thank you all for the responses. Lots to learn, trying to absorb as much as I can from as many different resources.

Edited by CZinSC

Based upon the method used to construct them, JHPs will typically be the most accurate, because they're the most consistent. They tend to take up a bit more case volume at the same overall length when compared with FMJ/CMJ of the same weight, so you'll get to max pressure/velocity with a bit less powder.

FMJ/CMJ's are pretty much identical to one another except for the little bit of lead exposed at the base which will eventually cause a build up in Open gun comps, but really does almost nothing to the lead that will get into your system (it's almost entirely from the primer). CMJ/FMJs tend to feed a little smoother which may or may not make any difference to your gun.

For Production, I think the heavier bullets take the steel down a little better, and shoot a little softer. I'm using JHPs in my Open guns, a mix of JHP and FMJ for Limited and Single Stack, and a mix of CMJs and JHPs in Production. 115gr, 180gr and 147gr respectively. R,

Edited by G-ManBart