Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder "which One To Use"

runangun

(on the phone with Sierra...) paraphrasing my question and their tech's answer...

Q: Did you pressure test your published .40S&W loads with 180 gr bullets, Clays, and N320?

A: No, they didn't do any pressure testing. They tested the loads by measuring case head expansion.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your input on this subject. For the record right now I load Power Pistol at 6.0grains, 180gr MG bullets at 1.185 oal, and get a powder factor of 170 in my summertime climate.

Here's another question why do you guys use such a shorter oal (1.12)? I don't know that much about reloading. I just bought a reloading manual its Lyman #48. After reading it a little I take it that the shorter the oal the less power the higher power factor. I'm I right or wrong?

What or why does the oal matter so much in determining power factor? Please educate me!!!! Maybe I should start another post on this subject.

short OAL = bullet closer to base = less space = more pressure (=) more velocity

People who load .40S&W "short" (actually, factory or SAAMI length) might be using Glocks or other pistols that don't allow long cartridges (because of their magazines). People who load "long" hopefully have barrels modified (freebored) to avoid pressure problems that might occur if the bullet were to be too close to the rifling.