Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid skill: Draw to shotgun shell at 10 yards.

Matt Griffin

I was shooting the plate rack to get some real trigger time in (indoor ranges don't feel real, for some reason) and for fun I put some shotgun shells up on the rack and drew to them with my 625. First surprise is that I could hit them at all double action, but I could about half the time off the draw, a bit more if I took all the time in the world.

Anyway, my draw to a "perfect sight picture perfectly smooth trigger manipulation" type shot is 1.75. Try it!

H.

Aim small, miss small.

If we always practice with standard size targets we will always know that we have this much wiggle room with each shot and will fail to concentrate on our sites will most likely improve slowly.

In the corps conducting hostage rescue training we always used smaller targets. Then on qualification days we would put up standard qualification target. Your groups will improve be cause you are trained to pay more attention to the basic fundementals of shooting.

Here is something else we did, we also shot with gas mask in training and qualifications on verious courses. Everyones scores tend to increase when they wore the gas mask. The reason everyone improves is because when you wear a gas mask if forces you to consentrate, plus it is like placing blinders on and takes away a lot of distractions to the sides. Give it a try sometime you will be suprised.

• 5 weeks later...

Amen! Why not make practice more challenging, like running with dumbbells (weights, not stupid running partners)?

If you have the type of range that allows, it's great practice to just pick out small rocks, clumps of dirt or other miscellaneous objects lying about organically to shoot at. There's something very spontaneous and exciting about randomly picking out a target and putting a bullet on it, rather than setting up steel of known size, at a known distance, etc. I have been amazed at how small an object you can hit, even at relatively long ranges, if you simply try. Your focus really tightens up with small targets.