Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pepper Popper Bolts

GForceLizard

I saw this at a match I recently shot. The bolts holding the pepper popper to the base were loose. You could reset the popper so that it overextended forward, using the loose bolts to position it further forward than normal. If you did this the popper was not calibrated and needed several shots to knock down. If you reset the popper and rested it backwards as it would be if the bolts were tight, it functioned properly. Check your pepper poppers for loose bolts and tighten them.

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like you use a different attachment mechanism than we do. Our popper faces have a piece of pipe welded across the base parallel to the face. The frame is a box shape made out of 1"x2" steel. We drill holes through the sides of the frame and run a section of threaded rod through one side, through the pipe at the base of the popper, and out the other side. The rod is secured by nuts & lock washers. No real chance for the pivot point to move around on us with that design so all we have to worry about is the adjustment bolt in front.

yeah, it sounds like his poppers have the two holes drilled in the face, at the base. They attach to L shaped bracket that does the pivoting.

As seen in the USPSA club manual: http://www.uspsa.org...CPM_4_Props.pdf

They do need a lot of looking after.

Unless they're the MGM US Poppers -- we bought 18 of them 5-6 years ago, and they're all still in as new condition. Getting new steel made a huge difference in consistency of presentation and ease of set-up....

They're must be some washers (crush washers?) available to allow for repairs/make that less of an issue, if someone can spend a little time with the offending steel, no?

The MGM poppers my club has came with steel lock nuts (distorted to lock). We pulled the faces off the face mounts to add rods so the poppers could be used as activators. Reinstalled everything TIGHT and used LocTite 272 as insurance. We still keep an eye on them for the reasons already stated.

CYa,

Pat

Nylon lock nuts can come loose. I use stover nuts, they are lock nuts but use a crimp or penned edge to lock them in place.

Grade 8 bolts are a must.

Sorry Pat I did not read your post all the way through. Sounds like you are using Stover nuts as well.

Carl

Edited by Carl Provan