Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

laser

1chota

I had a veridian green laser light combo that I had on an xdm9. It was very bright. I could see it at 15-20 yards on a cardboard target in the Oklahoma sun. It was hard to see on greenish backgrounds in full sun. I sold it to fund competition guns but I will own another one some day.

• 4 years later...

4 year old thread.. but the same question.. now that the green lasers are more common, is it worth the extra money?

The only planned use is for 3 Gun night matches

Thanks, Dave

Oh yea! I used a viridian green laser/light on my pistol at a night match (@ Richmond, CA) a week ago and I heard some folks commenting it was like watching blade runner (I presume the gun/green laser, and not me and any resemblance to Harrison Ford :-) But seriously, I also have both a green and red laser SIRT, and the advantage is the green laser is a no problem daylight laser out to 200 yards, while the red starts to wash out even at 25 yards in daylight. At night the green laser is very crisp and obvious no matter how many lumens of weapon/head/hand mounted light you are throwing at the targets. I'd guestimate the green at 5x apparent brightness vs red? That said, the red will probably work fine on 3Gun paper targets, steel, clays, but the green's extra horsepower nice at distance and when the target isn't so reflective and wants to absorb the light.

Edited by trgt

I am a huge fan of the TRL-2 HL Series for the night matches. The High Output of the new HL weapon lights is where it is at.

The green lasers are brighter but at night red works just fine. The green shines at dusk. I would choose the TRL-2HL over the TRL-2G for a night match. Streamlight should be coming out with the TRL-2GHL soon though and it will be the mack daddy of the laser light weapon mounted combo.

the same power.. and the green looks that much brighter?

Seems like they're all rated at something like "Up to 5mW Green Laser"

Here's some photos I just took.

(lasers @ 15 yards (simulated dusk) and 25 yards (daylight outdoors), iPhone camera shots at both at source distance, and next to 'target).

This is the red and green laser of my SIRT pistol, I presume they are about the same power since the modules can be swapped, and the green SIRT seems to be about the same as the Green viridian laser, so hopefully helpful for the comparison you want.

Also on brightness, I think part of it also (lasers for dummies somewhere), the human eye is also more sensitive to green.

post-48463-0-06328900-1395934732_thumb.j

post-48463-0-99975200-1395934751_thumb.j

post-48463-0-81860300-1395934771_thumb.j

post-48463-0-91084800-1395934787_thumb.j

I am a huge fan of the TRL-2 HL Series for the night matches. The High Output of the new HL weapon lights is where it is at.

The green lasers are brighter but at night red works just fine. The green shines at dusk. I would choose the TRL-2HL over the TRL-2G for a night match. Streamlight should be coming out with the TRL-2GHL soon though and it will be the mack daddy of the laser light weapon mounted combo.

Thanks.. that is one bright flashlight

not sure how that works but on their website: Lumens: 501-3350

Edited by D.Hayden

"5mW" green lasers can be deveptive because of the way they work

red lasers emit at the red wavelength

green lasers actually don't emit as green. they emit as IR and then use a process that effectively combines the photons and emits at green (green is about 500something nm and the IR is about 1000-1100something nm). this process is not 100% efficient, so you still have IR emission (can't see it) on top of the 5mW visible green emission.

so the powers are not really the same, but even beyond that, the lasers are usually underrated. there are classifications for power and 5mW down to some power I forget is a category. green lasers seem to be underrated more than red lasers too.

Thanks.. those pics are nice

In the back of my brain, the green vs. red thing was that we do see green better - and if they'd thought more about it, 'Stop' and fire trucks would have been green

eta - spelling

Edited by D.Hayden