Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Fullsize 45 accuracy problem

J-Rob

I took my new m&p full size 45 to the range today and shot 100 rounds of 230gr fmj out of it and its grouping 3 inches left and about 5 inches low at 15 yards. I couldnt believe the performance I was getting out of this m&p since I own 2 others and they group POA/POI. Anyone else here experience this with your M&P's?

Make sure that the front sight is properly centered in the dovetail. The FS on my Pro was off quite a bit and I've heard of similar things from others. The good thing is it's an easy fix. As far as elevation goes, it could be ammo related (was it factory or reloads?) or it could simply need a different height front sight. R,

Make sure that the front sight is properly centered in the dovetail. The FS on my Pro was off quite a bit and I've heard of similar things from others. The good thing is it's an easy fix. As far as elevation goes, it could be ammo related (was it factory or reloads?) or it could simply need a different height front sight. R,

It was Federal factory ball ammo from walmart. Im gonna try some Winchester ammo and some others too if I can find any in stock.

I shot it from a rest at the shooting range. I always try to do it with brand new pistols just to make sure that the sights are on point.

Then it's less likely to be you.....

Try some different ammo, center the front sight, pay careful attention to trigger pull to make sure you're not yanking the front down, have someone else shoot it....

If it's still low with the ammo you want to use, then consider a shorter front or filing a little off this one....

That was the issue with my full sized M&P 45 (non L.E. pistol Sku)

I had to true up my front sight post and it still shoots about 2-3" left at 15 yards. Elevation is good though. I may end up drifting the rear sight over a bit once I'm confident that it's not just ME "glocking" the trigger.

The left/right issue can be easily fixed by drifting the front/rear as needed.

What is the height of the front sigth? In my full size 4.5 inch barrel M&P 45 I prefer a 0.170 inch high front. Shoots just a tad high at 10-15 yards which is how I like my pistols to shoot. I like to see the hole just above where the front sight is. I guess this is from shoothing clay targets for many years where I would like my pattern to be about 65/35 high. I like to see the target just above my front sight, not having to cover it up. Just my two cents.

By the way, this was with a Burwell rear sight not the factory sight.

Good luck. Later, Lumpy.

Edited by Lumpy McSoo