Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Performance Operating System?

olp73

With respect to forward assists I never understood why someone would want to jam an unwilling round into a chamber without the immediacy of life and death circumstances. Even then you could still be creating a huge problem for yourself. For those who insist on a press check then I can see a small utility to ensuring the bolt is fully closed. However, on a recreational or match rifle you really shouldn't need to use the FA at all so I wouldn't worry about the carrier not having the FA engagement notches.

The recoil impulse reduction when running a full lightened operating system (gas block, buffer, carrier & comp) is noticeable and however it is much like compensators, in that the results tend to be a pretty broad continuum with quite a bit of influence from each individual user's perspective.

I can see that the forward assist is not popular here.

Personally I would not own an AR without a forward assist.

It has nothing to do with shoving a round into the chamber that does not fit (for me).

In my opinion the forward assist is used for a couple of different reasons. The reason I most use the FA is to ensure the proper position of the bolt - after a lot of movement with the firearm or when there is a need to chamber a round quietly. I have also seen the FA be useful in extreme cold.

The finger on the bolt method is ok as well, but it is not as quick/easy when wearing gloves or in bad weather conditions such as rain, snow, cold, etc... The FA also helps ensure proper bolt position in the dark.

The FA is also very useful when using the AR for hunting and there is a need to quietly chamber a round.

I can understand that the overall topic here is for a gun match and there would not be a reason to have to be quiet or not use light to verify. I just like my carbines to cover multiple uses.

The discussion in this thread about the FA is not really about its popularity. The OP asked if there was options to keeping the FA but still getting the benefits of a lightened bolt.

It was suggested that there are parts that still allow a reduction in overall reciprocating mass and its benefits or the other route would be to not worry about the function of the FA as generally on a match rifle it has limited utility. Therefore consideration could be then given to other priorities.

You gave your opinion, I gave mine.

I understand that to some there are things more important than the FA. There are also many folks out here who use these matches just to stay sharp and use the matches as one of many tools in training for personal protection.

I'll clarify...

To the op, if the things I list matter to you, you might consider an option that keeps the use of the FA - like the op originally states, and not get away from the FA as others have suggested.

I fully understand that the FA is not a priority to everyone and only intended to list the reasons I like a FA, I strongly believe in having a FA or I would not have posted at all.

Edited by joshua79109

I haven't actually used the FA in a match, but for some reason it is just comforting to know it is there.

As far as flat shooting goes, I will assume light or reduced recoil is meant. Having said that, I put a JM comp and a buffer technologies buffer in my 16" carbine and I can now do double taps as I couldn't do them before (with stock buffer and A2 bird cage). I can now stay on target and do those double taps....finally! In my opinion, it is a cheaper route than replacing the bolt carrier. But, I would like to try and replace the stock carrier with a lighter one and see if I could actually tell a difference at that point.

There is a competing theory that replacing the standard carrier with an M16 carrier (heavier) and installing a heavier buffer reduces recoil and increases reliability in a carbine. The theory being that the greater mass delays the bolt opening, slows the bcg velocity, and lessens the impact of the bcg/buffer bottoming out in the buffer tube. Sometimes the recommendation is to also install a heavy recoil spring. And that may work with a carbine, particularly a 16" with carbine length gas tube. Because the gas port on the barrel is closer to the chamber, the pressures are higher (than in a rifle or mid-length gas system), and with the 16" barrel those higher pressures are delivered over a longer time period because of the greater distance from the port to the muzzle (I suppose that would technically be called a double whammy!). Thus the heavier carrier/buffer to counter the greater gas forces. An adjustable gas block might make all that unnecessary, though.

I've been working with a new BCM stainless 16" middy upper that came with the heavier M16 carrier. Even with a Rolling Thunder compensator I'm not terribly satisfied with the recoil impulse. Next I'm adding a Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer and we'll see if that tames it down a bit. Taming recoil may be a moot point with that rifle, though, since I'm having a hard time getting the accuracy I want with 55 gr. bullets. Without accuracy, I don't care how flat it shoots!

Immediate action on a round that won't go in to battery. Tap, Rack and go, as for chamber checking, why would you pull the bolt out of battery when you can check the magazine and see which side the round is on?

• 2 weeks later...
The Young lightened NM carrier is 2 ounces heavier than the JP lightened stainless at about 9 ounces. A stock semi auto carrier is about 11 ounces. Young does not lighten their carrier as much as JP. But young may have a new ultra light carrier out soon.

.................that's the ONE :surprise: Do you know when???

Edited by olp73