Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading the glock 35

Chris Shaffer

Hey guys I have been wanting to get into IDPA for a wile and decided I want to buy a Glock 35 for SSP and i starting to look around and the more i read a lot of people are saying you cant reload the Glock 40 due to having the unsupported case chamber making the lower area of the case to bulge out and make it not being able to re size it. Is the a problem shooting low power loads 130 power factor? If not is there a safe way to re size glocked brass?

I don't shoot much idpa but I shoot a whole lot of uspsa. I have 2 g35s, one with an aftermarket kkm barrel & one with the factory barrel. I load & shoot major power factor loads @170+ pf. So far, never a problem. If you reload glocked brass, you may have a few more rejects with your case gauge but not many. I just load it, case gauge it & go. After nearly 5 years & untold thousands of rounds, no problems. I use lee dies for resizing & they size pretty low on the brass. I would say I've easily loaded 50-60 thousand rounds of .40S&W & no problems. I do not roll size brass, just tumble it, look it over for flaws, toss it in the 650, pull the handle, case gauge it & go.

It seems that SOME factory barrels(glocks & other brands also) seem to make a bulge on the brass more than others. I am unsure if it is the particular ammo or the barrel itself or what. I never have a problem with mine. Most of that stuff you are talking about is from wayyyyy back in the early days of 40 caliber loading & glocks.

By the way, no semi auto is "fully" supported. Some are more supported than others but none are fully supported. Also, newer glock barrels seem to have more support than some of the old ones.

MLM

Next to the search button top right of the page is an "advanced" button. Click it. In Find Words type "Glock 35". Check show results as titles. Then in Find in forum scroll down to 10mm/40 caliber. Click the Perform the Search button. Just what you're looking for :cheers:

Jim

Edited by Jman

Thanks everyone I had missed the advanced search button. I just found a good youtube.com video of fixing glocked brass using a crimp die with nothing inside and using some form of a push tool to push the brass all the way through the crimp die.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PszuLwEu8 is the link if anyone wants to check it out.

I'm going to throw out an idea here for you to think about. Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. If you "fix" glocked brass, what have you done really? If it chambers it is good? Maybe. If it is really bulged & you push it back into place, have you just increased the possibility that the brass may tear at that point?

Obviously the facts are this: one, the likelihood that the fixed brass will wind up in the exact same position in your gun with the previously bulged area laying right back on the same less supported area is pretty slim, two, how many times can you flex that spot on the brass before it fails?

I prefer to just reload them then case gauge them. Any failures due to bulged brass (aka guppied brass or glocked brass) get broken back down & the brass dumped in my recycle bucket. I just prefer to not take that chance it will fail at that point. I loaded 400 the other night, had 2 bulged ones wouldn't pass the case gauge. Not a large percentage overall. This was just brass from an indoor range, mix of everything.

Plenty of people "fix" bulged brass & have no problems. I'm just not one of them.

Things to think about, right? Take all the advice you read, consider, decide, & then follow your decisions knowing the possibilities & risks. IOW, make educated decisions!

MLM

You can also run the brass through a 'U' die (undersize) by EGW. This die goes down far enough on the case to remove the bulge. Just another option. So far I've run all my brass through the U die and haven't had a single round fail the case gauge. I'll keep checking them though.

Hey guys I have been wanting to get into IDPA for a wile and decided I want to buy a Glock 35 for SSP and i starting to look around and the more i read a lot of people are saying you cant reload the Glock 40 due to having the unsupported case chamber making the lower area of the case to bulge out and make it not being able to re size it. Is the a problem shooting low power loads 130 power factor? If not is there a safe way to re size glocked brass?

I shoot a G35 in IDPA. You can reload your brass and you don't need any specific die to take out the "bulge". I like Lee dies as they full length size and are priced well. I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die (LFCD) to resize after.

40 S&W G35 stock barrel

3.9 grns of W231

180 grn plated bullet

Over All Length (OAL or COL) 1.130 as plated bullets vary slightly depending on plating

Crimp .420

Winchester Primers

Mixed Brass

Edited by HairlessOtter

I'm going to throw out an idea here for you to think about. Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. If you "fix" glocked brass, what have you done really? If it chambers it is good? Maybe. If it is really bulged & you push it back into place, have you just increased the possibility that the brass may tear at that point?

Obviously the facts are this: one, the likelihood that the fixed brass will wind up in the exact same position in your gun with the previously bulged area laying right back on the same less supported area is pretty slim, two, how many times can you flex that spot on the brass before it fails?

I prefer to just reload them then case gauge them. Any failures due to bulged brass (aka guppied brass or glocked brass) get broken back down & the brass dumped in my recycle bucket. I just prefer to not take that chance it will fail at that point. I loaded 400 the other night, had 2 bulged ones wouldn't pass the case gauge. Not a large percentage overall. This was just brass from an indoor range, mix of everything.

Plenty of people "fix" bulged brass & have no problems. I'm just not one of them.

Things to think about, right? Take all the advice you read, consider, decide, & then follow your decisions knowing the possibilities & risks. IOW, make educated decisions!

MLM

I shoot my G35 in IDPA. After a couple reloadings of the brass I found about 20% wouldn't fit the case gauge. However, they fit fine in the barrel. I got the G-Rx to get the brass sized down to fit the gauge. The reason was to remove the possibility of the gun not going into battery in the middle of a stage.