Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Have Info On 6.8 Spc Uppers?

DblTap

This seems to be a very interesting round. Supposedly launches a .277" 115 grain bullet at 2800 FPS. As I understand it a new barrel and bolt are all that's required to convert any AR. Mags are said to hold 28 rounds. Being that the round used the same diameter bullet that the 270 Winchester does, I can't help but wonder if a 140 grain projectile could safely be fired at 2600 FPS. That would be a 364PF! Major! Any info on load data or upper availability out there? Thanks.

Check www.tacticalforums.com under the terminal ballistics forum. There is apparently a lot of interest in the SPecOps community for a heavier bullet - 6mm to 7mm - in the AR15 style platform. The perceived effectiveness of 300 Whisper may be driving this, also.

Apparently, the 6.8 top ends will be available soon and Remington is listing the ammo.

Scott

I looked into it and it doesn't look like it can make Major with any weight bullet. <_<

I'm going to whine elsewhere about USPSA needing an Intermediate rifle power factor.

An AR upper wouldn't be a whole lot of trouble would it? Just start with a .270 barrel blank?

I doubt it but I'm willing to be surprised. A 115 grain bullet has to go over 2950 fps to make major. A .270 Winchester could do it easily but it has much more capacity than the 6.8. A 140 grain bullet would take up a WHOLE lot of room in the 6.8 case and I doubt 2600 fps is a possible goal. Maybe. Just let me know to get off the firing line when you touch the first one off. :o

I posted a question on this round on (of all places) Glocktalk & someone responded with a name & contact info. Over there, I am "Carlitos" (Carlos was taken) & if you search on my posts, it should appear. No idea as to whether it will meet major though.

EDIT: Numbers of a SIMILAR caliber from a 14" barrel from the Speer Reloading manual #13:

7mm T/CU (.223 necked UP to 7mm, NOT 6.8mm)

.284" Dia. 145 Grn BT HP-Match (Speer Part Number 1631)

Powder: H322, 27.0 Grns MAX

Vel.: 2118 FPS

Test barrel length: 14" (Fourteen Inches)

Power factor: 307.1 (Rifle MINOR)

Would you get to major out of a longer barrel? To meet 340 PF for major, you would need 2,344.8 FPS. That means you are 227 FPS short of major with currently published data out of a 14" tube. Anyone want to bet you could easily make major with the 7mm T/CU out of a 20" barrel? Maybe even an 18"?? It might take V V powder, but I would think its do-able with the 7mm T/CU as is and the cases are simply necked & fire-formed .223.

As for the 6.8mm, who makes bullets in that diameter & what weights?

Found a 6.8mm link; looks like 115s for now:

http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum78/HTML/000512.html

Regards, C