Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Specific Rules

DyNo!

What is the penalty for engaging targets you aren't supposed to with a certain gun?

Accidentally, not intentionally. (Ruling out unsportsmanlike behavior)

Depends on the rule set that the match is following as well as how the stages are setup.

Some matches are set so that you CAN engage different targets with you choice of firearm.

Others for safety reasons only allow you to shoot XX with YY, (ex.. steel plates with pistol and not rifle).

Some matches have a DQ penalty for shooting steel with slugs, others have time penalties for doing this action.

There was a stage at a local match where a pistol-specific array was placed 20-30yd from the starting position, and another array at 2-3yd. The second of the array (closer to the start position) required the shooter to move to the left to see around a no-shoot. In the process of moving, the shooter would be able to see a rifle target at 10yd, that's supposed to be engaged from inside the "shoot house". Since the no-shoot blocked the second of the two targets in the closest array, most shooters opted to move immediately to a position where all the targets (including the rifle target) were visible.

To my knowledge, no one shot it, but given the angle, it would've made sense. I saw a few of our newer shooters counting pistol shots on it during their first walk-throughs.

I think .. as long as it's not a DQ-able target (like rifle or slug on steel 20 yards out), it's simply a miss.

I'm looking for a pistol hole, see a rifle hole, I ignore it. No procedural.. as long as you engage it afterwards with the pistol.

Worst case would be 2 mikes and a failure to engage.

I think .. as long as it's not a DQ-able target (like rifle or slug on steel 20 yards out), it's simply a miss.

I'm looking for a pistol hole, see a rifle hole, I ignore it. No procedural.. as long as you engage it afterwards with the pistol.

Worst case would be 2 mikes and a failure to engage.

I believe this is the correct solution

1 - Moderators ... This should probably be under the Multi-Gun Forum. Is it possible to move the discussion?

2 - I assume the OP is referring to MG, not 3-Gun. In 3-Gun it would be virtually impossible to engage a target with the wrong gun as you only use one gun at a time. Hence, I will answer using USPSA MG rules.

3 - I will further assume there has been no safety violations ... e.g., distance to steel, 180, etc.

4 - I will also assume on the target in question the shooter DID NOT have an option to shoot it with the other gun ...

Damn ... That's a lot of assumptions!

The RO can only score hits by the appropriate firearm type on any given target. Hence, If you have 2 rifle hits on a handgun target and no handgun hits, the target is scored 2 Mike. Additionally, if the shooter did not engage (i.e., shoot at) the target in question with the handgun he will also incur a FTE penalty.

Now let's say you have a handgun target with 1 Slug Alpha and 1 HG Alpha visible. The score is 1 A, 1 M. The argument from the shooter that the slug hit obliterated a HG hit does not hold water ... 1st, it is not a range failure as the target did exactly what it was supposed to do ... Lead hit it and went through it. 2nd, the shooter is the cause of the error, not the stage or any other external influence. 3rd, Once again, the RO can only score what he sees ... Here he "sees" 1 HG A ... Since there is no further "evidence" of a HG hit, the second call is 1 M.

Finally, in the case of a steel or frangible target knocked over or broken with the wrong gun ... You've screwed yourself! If you shot at it with the correct gun and missed, then made it up with the wrong gun and got it, it should be scored a Miss. But, if you shoot at it with the wrong gun first, and get it, then it will be scored as a Miss AND a FTE, since it is not available to be shot at with the correct gun. (Bummer!) This is not a Range Failure ... It is the Shooter's Error, and the shooter earns the penalties.

Good to note, however: As someone above already posted, the set up for most MG matches generally leaves it pretty clear which targets to shoot with what ... but that's not ALWAYS the case. If your course designer is an illigitimate son of Satan ... Well, pay attention to what needs to be shot with what!

Rules Referrence: See MG Rules 9.3, on page 8.

Edited by Schutzenmeister