Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Weapon Light?

Daniel Duke

Hey guys, i know that "best" is a pretty loaded adjective... what I mean is best for me. I am thinking about putting a light rail on my 1911, and then using a weapon light on the gun. So, If I dont want to spend more than 150 bucks, what is the best one out there? I want it to be water proof, and reliable as well as have great light output. Battery life is a plus also. It needs to be able to fit in a holster still... So, any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

For the price you listed Streamlight TLR-1. I have two and the light is nice and bright, great battery life. Only negative is the tightening mechanism tends to loosen itself up after using it. I would recommend spending $250 and getting the surefire X300.

For the price you listed Streamlight TLR-1. I have two and the light is nice and bright, great battery life. Only negative is the tightening mechanism tends to loosen itself up after using it. I would recommend spending $250 and getting the surefire X300.

A dab of blue loctite on the TLR-1 fixes any security issues with the mounting system. Much better than the Surefire which manages to intermittently unlatch. The difference being when the TLR-1 loosens a little the light stays on the gun. When the Surefire system unlatches the light is gone. TLR-1's can be had at LAPolice Gear for $95, IMO there is not $150.00 of performance difference to justify the surefire.

Edited by smokshwn

As you say, best is extremely relative. Generally, you can have a very bright light with a short life or a not-as-bright-light with a longer life. You can get a bright light with good life, but it's going to cost you. Then there's the issue of indoors or outdoors. Indoors an LED light is great but outdoors an incandescent usually has a longer throw.

For a low price LED light, have a look at the Streamlight TLR-3. It's a compact light with 90 lumens and a 1+ hour life and will fit most light holsters and is quite adequate for indoor use.

If you want a more flexible solution, have a look at the Safariland RLS which allows you to attach a hand held light to your pistol. This works quite well and does not require a special holster.

I have a TLR-1 and a Surefire X300 (I've used the X200 as well). The TLR-1 isn't a bad light, but the X300 is a great light! I haven't had mine come loose or move at all so far....in fact, it's a pretty snug fit on Glock light rails so it takes a bit of force to get on and off (a good thing in this instance). R,

A dab of blue loctite on the TLR-1 fixes any security issues with the mounting system. Much better than the Surefire which manages to intermittently unlatch. The difference being when the TLR-1 loosens a little the light stays on the gun. When the Surefire system unlatches the light is gone. TLR-1's can be had at LAPolice Gear for $95, IMO there is not $150.00 of performance difference to justify the surefire.

I have had the TLR-1 fall off the gun before. It loosened up enough and with me manipulating the switch obviously put enough pressure on it to knock it off. Lucky is was during a qualification and not an op. Problem with putting the loctite would be getting it off if needed. I carry a spare light on me if the the one on the gun goes down and don't want to have to worry about getting out a tool to get it off. I realize that we are not talking about the same type of application from the original post.

Honestly going with either the TLR-1 or the X300 you will get a quality LED light, aluminum housing, good lumens, and good battery life. All depends on what you want to spend. I would stay away from some of the cheap-o off brands. I have seen plenty of them that work good until the shock of the first round goes off and then they quit working. Streamlight and Surefire are tried and tested brands!

I am an admitted Surefire slut and I just wasn't impressed when we had our 200's. We have since switched to the 300's and it seems like a few issues have been resolved, but never underestimate the ability of a large group of idiots who feel the need to dress alike to screw up a perfectly good design. :devil: