Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS dies in a 550

Hey guys, a friend of mine purchased a new Dillon 550 and a set of .45 RCBS dies. How positive or negative is this? thanks for the info.

John

The dies themselves, will work fine. Assuming he got a 3 die set(Size,expand,seat) He'll probably end up dumping the expander die, for Dillons expander die so he can use the Dillon powder measure. Then he can make a decision on whether he wants to leave the last station open, or get a crimp die.

The RCBS dies will work, but the Dillon dies are more smartly made and work a little better with a progressive press. For the Dillon dies, the sized die's decapping pin is stronger, and the size die probably has little more radius at the opening than the RCBS die. Also the Dillon seat dies do not use a threaded seat plug (that would gum up eventually).

be

It looks like what I'm currently solving. I have RCBS dies (.45 ACP) and sometimes I have trouble during loading the cartridge into the die. I will try to play with cartridge retaining spring, but I'm decided to buy Dillon dies. In the last stage I use the lee crimp die and I must say that it is very short to be securely locked in the toolhead (I tried to put the die lock ring from the bottom and the ring was in collision with the press frame when I want to put the toolhead onto the press). Otherwise I must say that I'm satisfied with the Lee carbide dies, only they are too short for 550. When I used them on Lee press, there was no problem with them. Maybe some specially made washer can help for securing them with the die lock ring from the bottom of the toolhead, but I don't have the machine to do this and also don't have the complete set of lee dies to check if there will not be any problem with this solution.

I used the RCBS dies for a while then purchased Dillion tey seem to be about the same but te Dillion dies are easier to clean because you just pull the pins and do not loose settings.

Right.

For new Dillon customers that already have dies, I push the Dillon Pistol dies pretty hard. But no so much (for the same scenario) for rifle dies.

Often, new Dillon press customers that will try their "other brand" dies, return to buy Dillon's pistol dies.

be

I have been using Lee dies for a long time, when I finally bought my 650 I bought the Dillon .45 acp dies...i couldn't believe the quality difference, i have a nice Redding Seater die and all Redding .223 dies, but the .45 dies are enough to convince me of their quality. They are much easier to set up than Lee dies too.