Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here goes a crazy question...

nickatnite

Has anyone ever seen or heard of someone using an Aristrocrat tri-set sight on a Glock? Esp a G-17 of the G-34/35?

I know that some are gonna chime in here on the accuracy thing; but, it seems like a great platform for that sight. THe reason why I ask, down here, we shoot every week a form of a PPC match (but only out to 25 yds). I regret getting rid of my old Bianchi Gun, but I was browsing thru today and ran across Bob Marvel's website and he builds 1911's in 9mm for PPC.

4-PPC.jpg

Thanks, Flex...

It's actually 2 times a week, the match is 60 rds and courses of fire are from 5 yds to 25 yds and it's timed like PPC. Targets are either B-27, UPSPA or IDPA. For instance, last week, one course of fire would be draw, fire 6 rds into 1 target and reload and fire 6 more (within 18 seconds).

Honestly, I'm just looking to experiment with the Glock platform.

Experimentation can be fun, but nothing can beat cold hard facts. NONE of the top Production shooters use that type of sight. And AFAIK none of the Limited/Limited 10, Revo, and Single Stack top 16 use them either.

NONE of the top Production shooters use that type of sight. And AFAIK none of the Limited/Limited 10, Revo, and Single Stack top 16 use them either.

As I understand it, he is looking to use a Glock for PPC matches and wants to use the type of sight that is popular in that discipline.

Thanks, Flex...

It's actually 2 times a week, the match is 60 rds and courses of fire are from 5 yds to 25 yds and it's timed like PPC. Targets are either B-27, UPSPA or IDPA. For instance, last week, one course of fire would be draw, fire 6 rds into 1 target and reload and fire 6 more (within 18 seconds).

Honestly, I'm just looking to experiment with the Glock platform.

I wish I could help more.

From what I understand (and I'd like more input from those that know)... Those sights allow for you to have, basically, multiple (3) zeroes set.

For PPC matches, I thought they were designed to be set for 7y, 25y and 50y? The idea being that the sights allowed the shooter to use a hold at each distance that gave the shooter easier aiming points on the target and good visual feedback on the relationship of the sights to the target. ??

Your match is not going out to 50y, only 25y. And, you are using a variety of targets. I don't think you would get the advantage that the sights were designed to give.

However, they may prove to be useful in some other fashion. I just don't know.

Were you going to go for the rib too, or the normal front/rear configuration?

It's actually 2 times a week, the match is 60 rds and courses of fire are from 5 yds to 25 yds and it's timed like PPC. Targets are either B-27, UPSPA or IDPA. For instance, last week, one course of fire would be draw, fire 6 rds into 1 target and reload and fire 6 more (within 18 seconds). .

The more I look at that, the less like a PPC match it seems.

Unless you current sights are set to some funky zero point, I just don't think you are going to see much variation in elevation from 5-25y...especially with the generous "down zero" zones of the targets you mentioned.

I'd get out and shoot with a grid target : http://mytargets.com...re%20center.pdf

- I would shoot for groups in 5y increments. Covering all the distances you will be called upon to shoot. (learn where you gun hits)

- I'd then take the targets that you are using (B-27, IDPA, USPSA) and mark them in such a way as to teach you exactly were the highest scoring zone is located on each. (I like using masking tape to make a cross...bisecting the target vertically, and running a horizontal tape line right through the very middle of the highest scoring zone.)

But, if you do decide to play with those sights on the Glock...come back and tell us what you notice with them!

Were you going to go for the rib too, or the normal front/rear configuration?

Hey Flex,

Thanks for those ideas...

I can still get the Tri-Set sights from Aristocrat. I'm tempted to get the set that you can purchase for the S&W PPC 9 where the sight sysem is 2 individual pieces. I'm tempted to just buy one of the 1 piece sights (the Auto 6) just to see how it lines up.

auto2.jpg

The main sight that got me to thinking is the Aristocrat BD-6, where you adjust the rear sight for windage and then the front sight is adjustable.

This is a stock picture. Notice the little slide adjuster on the front sight?

revolver2.jpg

That looks like the ticket there.

Thanks guys for all of the ideas...

Edited by nickatnite

NONE of the top Production shooters use that type of sight. And AFAIK none of the Limited/Limited 10, Revo, and Single Stack top 16 use them either.

As I understand it, he is looking to use a Glock for PPC matches and wants to use the type of sight that is popular in that discipline.

I am unsure as to how the style of shooting differs from the style of shooting that is performed in USPSA. Well placed shots are rewarded, and poorly placed shots are penalized in both disciplines.

What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.

I am unsure as to how the style of shooting differs from the style of shooting that is performed in USPSA. Well placed shots are rewarded, and poorly placed shots are penalized in both disciplines.

What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.

The "shooting style" differs in that the PPC matches have fixed, and rather generous times. There's no advantage to speed at all. You use the time available to your best advantage. And unlike USPSA, you can't miss fast enough to win. :roflol:

Alan~^~