Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Solutions 2011 Conversion TIGHT

SteveZ

I just received a TacSol 2011 22 Conversion for my STI Edge. I tried to install it on my frame and the thing is TIGHT I mean really TIGHT. Even after lubing up the rails of the frame, it takes considerable effort to cycle the "slide" part of the conversion by hand. My Edge frame is hardchromed and my frame to slide fit is very nice but I don't think the hardchrome alone would account for this. So my question is this for those of you who purchased TacSol 2011 conversions for use on S_I frames....did you find yours was really TIGHT in the beginning and did it eventually loosen up after break in or did you have to machine the rails of the conversion unit to get it to work. I'm hoping that after the black anodizing on the rails wears off, it will reciprocate a bit easier.

I'm guess the break in period is going to be many hundred rounds of "fire one...eject one....fire one...eject one".

Check your ejector. I've played with several brands of conversions, not the tacsol though, and a lot of times the ejector was rubbing.

Hi Corey...I don't think its the ejector...becuause its tight to the frame before the back of the slide gets anywhere near the ejector....good idea though.

Take the slide only, not the ejector from the kit. Put the slide only on the frame. If it wont fall all the way back on it's only weight, then you will need to lap it to the frame a little bit. The kit runs best when it is almost loose on the rails...you don't want it tight, and eventually it will loosen up, but it will need some help to start running....and this info is from detailed conversations with BJ Norris about his kits.....FWIW...Mine are loose and run 100%.

Good luck,

DougC

I could only get mine to fit on one frame that I owned. It fit really tight to begin with, but broke in after 100 rounds of mini mags. Now, while hard to get on and take off, it runs great. My question was that if you lap this kit to the frame, what does it do to the fit of your other slide?

Take the slide only, not the ejector from the kit. Put the slide only on the frame. If it wont fall all the way back on it's only weight, then you will need to lap it to the frame a little bit.

Right now, mine won't move on the frame without some serious outside help (me!). If I retract the slide to the rear, the recoil spring doesn't have enough force to return the slide forward either (probably no surprise there, if it won't move by its own weight, the spring isn't enough to return the slide into battery).

My question was that if you lap this kit to the frame, what does it do to the fit of your other slide?

Thats what I'm concerned with...if it laps in my frame, I'll lose my tight (and desirable) slide to frame fit of the normal slide.

I'm going to take some measurements of my frame and their slide and give them a call today and see if they recommend machining of the slide...or just shoot it until it works.

I talked with the people at TacSol today and after explaining the situation...they seem hesitant to do any machining to the slide to make it work. They asked if there was someone locally that could help me out. I'm going to explore that (JPL)...and if that falls through, its back to TacSol to see where I go from there.

Steve,

JPL fitted mine to my frame for me also. It was extremely tight when new - and this is to a new frame that I bought to build it up.

Albert

Per TacSol's request, I turned this project over to JPL to have him take a look at it and here is his response....

I measured it out and painted contact surfaces up and checked where it was tight and by how much. The TS slide was about .7575 and the frame is about .757. When I set it up in the mill I dial indicated it to “0” at the back inside of the slot and at the first cutout for the recoil plug. It ran plus about a thou and a half on the left side and I cut about .0015 off of that side. I then turned it around and dialed the other slot. It was “0” at the back and “0” at the front, but ran about +.0035 in the middle, starting about and inch in from the rear. That’s right where it would stick on your frame. Not any more!!! It’s tricky getting your slide stop out of the frame, past the slide on the TS, you have to have it lined up perfect or the tab hangs up.