Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you compete with what you carry?

DoubleDelta

I shoot IDPA mainly for fun and as a competition. So I use full size 1911s with a lightened trigger and springs. I also use ed brown extra wide thumb safeties and adjustible fiber optic sights. I use a holster that is quick and easy to draw from.

For my carry gun, I use a Springfield EMP. I also load it with Fed Hydra-shok, so I use factory springs. I use a leather holster that is tight to my body. I want lightweight and comfort for a carry gun. I also use fixed night-sights for durability and low light shooting.

If you shoot IDPA for the thrill of competition, I would assume you would have a gun for that purpose. If you shoot it for training for your CCW, I would guess you would use your carry equipment.

Randy

You shoot USPSA/IPSC for the thrill of competition. IDPA to mock real life and real life carry, with real life guns, with real life triggers and sights. Proper use of concelment/cover. Duane, that is as it should be.

What about in states where you can't carry?

I rarely carry and when I do it's with a pocket gun. I shoot a 43 oz, 2 pound trigger 1911 because at the end of the day it's still a game, they keep score, and there is a winner.

I am not trying to tell you what to carry or, how to carry it. But, at the end of the day IF you ever do, get in a shoot out with a gun like that and the bad guy don't get you. the jury or prosecutor will fry you. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected. Maybe you should try shooting your Keltec in a IDPA match. They also have back up gun matches. Real fun. I have shot a colt officers model at regular all day match. real fun. :cheers:

Maybe I should :) I'd need to get some more mags for it though. I'm not exactly a typical gun guy. I got into shooting because I wanted to do competition. The carry guns came after, and I don't really strap them on too often. I'm with customers all day every day and I still haven't ever found a perfect tuckable IWB that works and is comfortable.

Yes.

I've never shot an IDPA match, so maybe I'm in the wrong forum. :unsure:

The 3" barrel, aluminum frame Kimber Ultra CDP II that I bought for concealed carry is what I shoot in USPSA Singlestack. I also shot it once in Limited 10.

My Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40F is a bit large for concealed carry, unless it's winter and can go under a jacket. But I've kept it in my truck as well as carried it on my hip in New Mexico where open carry is legal. That's what I shoot in Production. And that's what I shot in both Limited and Limeted 10 in a recent Classifier match.

Did I win anything? No.