Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just reloaded my first batch of rounds

cyburg

Ok, I finally completed my gun/reloading room in my master closet. I built a bench for reloading and another for cleaning. The 550 is now completed and I loaded the following rounds to test.

Powder 3n37

Starline brass

MG 124 JHP

CCI small rifle primers

All measurements are the same that I acquired from the original owner of the 38 super comp, with 3 popples and comp

I loaded 5 rounds of each powder to crono starting at 8, 8.2, 8.5, 8.8, 9.0 and 9.3.

Do these sound good to start or should I add 8.9, 9.1 and 9.2?

Thanks

Don't worry my wife still has her master closet.

Edited by cyburg

8.0 sounds like a good start. Start with the lowest powder charge and crono. Before moving to the next check for pressure signs and compute your pf. Your looking to be at about 1370 fps or 170pf. Enough room for most crono errors. Since you are using a rifle primer when it starts to get flat you are in dangerous territory. I shoot pistol primers so I know when the over pressure starts. Pay attention to the depth of the firing pin dent when it gets real deep your almost ready to puch thru.

Once you reach your PF there is no need to go higher so Stop and dispose of the rounds that have a higher charge. You can keep going till it gets ugly but I don't recommend it. Some folks like to go beyond to see it a higher charge will make the comp work better but it takes is toll on the brass, and when you get to f of x you get a super face.

Sounds too hot to my taste! I never moved that powder into "volume production", but I did plenty of test loads, and with 8 grains I was already getting over 165 PF. Of course every gun/bullet combo is different, but still, this is far cry from 9 grains!

8.1 with 3 barrel holes should put you about 166pf. My first test would not go over 8.3. No sense wasting ammo. Chrono at least 10 with each load.

You will find 3N37 gets the barrel and gun pretty hot.