Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

750 or 2100 tumbler ?

I am about to place an order for my first tumbler. I plan on tumbling about 500 pcs at a time for my 10mm, 45 acp or 9mm. My question is would i benefit more by ordering the 2001 as there is more capacity (I'm thinking more free room for the brass to travel around the media which would yeild a better result ) or do I have it all wrong and just order the 750???? also how many pounds of media does it take to fill the 2001 vs the 750?

Since you can't tumble different sizes together (if they fit inside each other), then you should look at your total volume requirement. How much you shoot of any particular caliber per week?

The 2001 is a very large machine capable of up to 1300 cases at a time. Besides being large itself (taking bench space), it also requires huge separator.

I had it, and then switched to the 750, plus another smaller Lyman model - I think I get much better flexibility with two smaller machines, my separator is smaller and everything is more convenient and easy to use for me. I usually shoot about 800 rounds per week, usually two calibers, so such a set up is ideal for me, I have to tumble less than once a week. I don't find it convenient to wait till I collect that 1300 cases the 2001 is capable of.

My advice - do not buy the 2001 unless you are shooting 1500-2000 rounds of any one caliber per week.

for the volume you've described, the 750 should be more than enough. if you have the space to accomodate the 2000 (and also the tub and separator as fioxbat mentioned) then the 2000 becomes useful if you're prepping 1000+ .cartridges at a time. i've got one and like it very much, but i've accumulated a large amount of .223 cases and will try and brass prep them in batches of 5 gallon bucket at a time...

-jaredr