Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shooting

Dan-O-Mite

I seem to have my new Limited Custom working pretty good now, so I started to get a little more serious about my practice. I was trying some weak hand shooting and all I can say is "ouch". The safety feels great when shooting freestyle, my thumb sit on there just fine. But weakhand,... it really digs into my left hand. I'm gonna have to trim the safety down. Not only does it dig in, but the safety actually moved to the "on" position while I was shooting.

Anyone else have this problem, or is my left hand deformed? :blush:

I seem to have my new Limited Custom working pretty good now, so I started to get a little more serious about my practice. I was trying some weak hand shooting and all I can say is "ouch". The safety feels great when shooting freestyle, my thumb sit on there just fine. But weakhand,... it really digs into my left hand. I'm gonna have to trim the safety down. Not only does it dig in, but the safety actually moved to the "on" position while I was shooting.

Anyone else have this problem, or is my left hand deformed? :blush:

Yeah, the limited safety paddle is pretty excessive. I had to cut mine down so it only sticks out from the frame half as much as it did before. Its basically the same size as the Match safety now. That is another option, get a Match safety lever. It only comes in Black though.

I would start by looking into your weak hand grip, I had a similar problem and was ready to take a file to my safety when a friend pointed out that I was gripping the gun too high. :blush:

A higher grip is better for handleing the recoil. I'll trim my safety.

I hate weak hand stages. For the number of times I do shoot them, (maybe once every 6 matches, and then only 6-9 rds)), I just try and shoot clean.

My thumb safety just barely digs into my hand this way, so I don't sweat it. I actually removed my right sided safety lever, I find it actually gets in my way when i move my trigger finger up when doing a mag change or moving.

i actually put the smaller safety on my Limited pistols. i just thought the original was a tad too large. it really didn't help me actuate the safety any better, so i dropped in a smaller one. now she is perfect for my grip with either hand.

liontribe

Well that was pretty easy. Less than 30 minutes from start to finish and no more ouchy. B)

I didn't really want to put on a smaller safety, I like how this one holds the gun up a little higher when having to start with it on a table in IPSC. Makes picking it up a little easier.

Wow! I just realised something. Because of the mag well, the gun kinda stands on it's own, :surprise: . I'm use to having to lay the gun down on it's side and pick it up that way. If the gun will stand up like that, and the stage briefing doesn't specify that it has to lay on it's side,... hmmmm. I'm gonna have to check the rule book on this one. Most stage briefings around these parts just say the gun has to point down range and can't be propped up useing a mag or other item, but if it stands on it's own, cool!

It probably won't save me a huge amount of time, but I like to see those eyes get real big when something new happens. :devil:

Edited by Dan-O-Mite