Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Mark 1

dover0020

I have just bought a new SLP Mark1, I've read everything I could find on the site regarding this gun but still have a few question.

1. I have only put about 25 rounds through the gun and ran into a few ejection problems, I was shooting 1 1/8 ounce shot. Some people say it's no problem some say it needs to be at least 1 1/4 ounce shot. What is everyone using and are they making any adjustments to shoot the lighter load?

2. What gas system are people using for shooting 3 gun since you may have to shoot bird shot as well as slugs?

I'm wanting to have the gun perform no matter what shells I put in it, I know that may be a tall task. Just wondering what other were doing.

Couple of things posted elsewhere and some I confirmed with my SLP:

- Be sure to take a new one apart, remove all the packing oil, lubricate well with your gun oil of choice, Mobil-1, whatever flavor you like

- Everyone seems to leave the light gas piston in for all 3 gun loads, slugs included. Works fine for me with slugs, I assume the heavy piston is for a steady diet of heavy loads which is not the case in most 3 gun

- The Walmart Winchester bulk pack shells will not reliably work, had some left over from my pump. Some have said they will work in their new SG or maybe after breaking it in but not true for mine so far

- Some say the Walmart Federal bulk pack will work but none locally available to me to test

- Generally, don't waste your time or money on those or anything less than 1200 or 1250 FPS, especially with a new SG

- I have had good luck with Remington Gun club loads with 7 1/2 shot. Be sure to get the ones marked 1200 FPS, there are other, slower Gun Club shells I have not tested

- Several ways to spend your money on mods to make it run really light loads but IMO you are better served just finding what runs reliably and spend the savings on ammo for practice

Also highly recommend the carrier mod that Jeff Cockrum does, IMO its a must have for fast loading.

I ran the 1 1/4 oz loads for the first case of shot. I use the light gas system. I run the gun a little wet but now that it is broken in it runs anything including the 7/8 oz loads, I prefer the 1 1/8 oz 3dr equivalent. I have never had a malfunction it the gun. It shoots wolf rifled slugs and hits at point of aim.

I assume you tore it down and cleaned it before you started shooting it? Keep it a little wet till it breaks in, they are great guns. Just some regualar gun oil then a whif of clp 10 in the bolt area. If you got blowing sand that's not a option.

Completely disassemble it and clean and lube it. I only have just short of 300 shells through mine, but besides 5 slugs, it's all been flavors of he crap bulk pack stuff -win universal, fed, and rem. It has never missed a beat so far which can't be said for my two 870expresses and 870p.

I ran the 1 1/4 oz loads for the first case of shot. I use the light gas system. I run the gun a little wet but now that it is broken in it runs anything including the 7/8 oz loads, I prefer the 1 1/8 oz 3dr equivalent. I have never had a malfunction it the gun. It shoots wolf rifled slugs and hits at point of aim.

I assume you tore it down and cleaned it before you started shooting it? Keep it a little wet till it breaks in, they are great guns. Just some regualar gun oil then a whif of clp 10 in the bolt area. If you got blowing sand that's not a option.

Use the light weight piston all the time.

I never change it.

My FNSLP MK 1 runs everything I put in it.

Keep the piston clean.

Soak it on carbon solvent after heavy use.

Run it wet, just like an AR and you'll be fine.

Edited by blackstone

I agree with Putty, I run the heavy piston all the time and it has cycled anything I put in it. I do keep it clean and well oiled. The heavy piston makes shooting the smokin' full power slugs a little more comfortable when you have 100yd slug targets and since it still cycles everything else I put in it including discount store 100 packs, I have just left it in.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I agree with Putty, I run the heavy piston all the time and it has cycled anything I put in it. I do keep it clean and well oiled. The heavy piston makes shooting the smokin' full power slugs a little more comfortable when you have 100yd slug targets and since it still cycles everything else I put in it including discount store 100 packs, I have just left it in.

Jeff

+1 on the heavy piston.

My SLP Mk1 had cycling issues when new despite having been taken apart, cleaned and lubed. Did another tear down and polished the tail end of the bolt where it goes into the socket of the recoil spring. Re-lubed everything and made sure light piston was installed. Ran 100 rounds of Wal-Mart bulk Federal #8s, then a couple of boxes of Gun Club Light Target #9s, without a hitch. Took it apart, cleaned and installed heavy piston. Runs everything.