Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock: Arredondo base pad - magwell compatibility

DADDY

Howdy,

I've been running Arredondo base pads (+6)on my G17 mags, in my G34 and ..... I love 'em. Recently I purchased a sjc magwell and the performance has been "hit and miss".... in short the sjc magwell doesn't positively lockup onto/into the backstrap or bottom of the grip. Really a poor design in my opinion there's no tension holding it in place and it comes loose, anyhoo...

Does anyone know of or use a magwell that works great with the Arredondo base pads?

I've been considering either:

JP= there's a setscrew that goes through the outer hole in the backstrap channel.

Dawson Prec. (ICE)= same mounting mechanism as above.

Thanks in advance!

Howdy,

I've been running Arredondo base pads (+6)on my G17 mags, in my G34 and ..... I love 'em. Recently I purchased a sjc magwell and the performance has been "hit and miss".... in short the sjc magwell doesn't positively lockup onto/into the backstrap or bottom of the grip. Really a poor design in my opinion there's no tension holding it in place and it comes loose, anyhoo...

Does anyone know of or use a magwell that works great with the Arredondo base pads?

I've been considering either:

JP= there's a setscrew that goes through the outer hole in the backstrap channel.

Dawson Prec. (ICE)= same mounting mechanism as above.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried contacting SJC? I've got one on a 24 that's rock-solid --- but it came on the gun, so I don't know if there was a trick to it....

You should have an insert that goes in the channel between the back strap and the magazine opening and the SJC magwell bolts to that, mine is also rock solid, I don't have any Arredondo base pads all mine are Taylor Freelance and they work great. I also have an SJC magwell on a CCF stainless steel frame that installation was a little different with the rubber back strap but is also solid.

Tim

SJC sells Arredondo basepads also. I would contact them to see if they can help you.

I can't imagine they would sell basepads that have problems with their magwell. And if there is a problem, they probably have seen it before and know how to fix it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions... I will contact them since I'm already out the cost of it. Aside from the "mounting" system it's a great magwell, hell it's like a mag funnel. From what I can tell/see the insert goes in to the backstrap channel.... and that's it... it's just supposed to stay there once the magwell itself is bolted to it. When I lock up both hands while griping my pistol (G34) I can see the front of it flexing downward (I can see this when I grip with only my right hand also). JP and Dawson use a setscrew to hold it in place from the outside of the frame which to me looks like that would keep it from sliding out. I put the sjc insert all the way in and it worked itself loose after one trip to "tuesday night steel", it still "works" with factory glock endplates but it's just loose enough that the arredondo's are making contact towards the rear.... once again I'll call them and I'll post "the" answer here.

If anyone uses another magwell with the Arredondo base plates... please chime in, I'm really not opposed to throwing this in a drawer and buying another one.... just don't want to do it twice. Again thanks for the quick replies and I really appreciate the input. I've been lurking around here since June of 08 and just made my first two post last night. This forum rocks!

I use the Dawson ICE Magwell. Works great, several options available (colors and weights). Check out CPWSA... He has the details listed on his site. I have used the Arredondo / Dawson combo for several matches and it has worked well (knock on wood)...

I've got a Dawson heavy ICE on one G24 and a Heavy magwell without the insert on another G24 and the Arrendondo and Taylor extensions lock up fine. I tried a brass Glockmeister but it didn't like the Taylor's so it is a box somewhere.

I have two or three SJC magwells and I use the arrendondo base pads no problem. I have an Ice magwell on a G22 that seems to flex a little in the front. I guess the frames are all a little different nd each magwell seems to fit a little different. A little silicone may help.

I'm in the market for another SJC magwell (black) if you realy aren't happy with it.