Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help. my Shadow thumb safety won't engage.

Joe Thompson

OK, I just picked up my brand new Shadow Custom from the shop today. I got it home and decided to play with it a bit and realized that the thumb safety will not engage. I read through the manual and it just states that the hammer must be cocked for the safety to engage. It was. Everything else seems to function fine. No matter what I tried: hammer down, hammer cocked, mag in/out, loaded/unloaded, cycle the trigger several times, cycle the slide several time, I could not get the thumb safety to go up. I decided to remove the slide to wipe everything down and take a look and it appears that the internal portion of the thumb safeties on both sides move up and make contact with the frame rails. It looks like the lower portion of the rails is physically blocking the thumb safety from rotating upward. Does anyone have any Idea what is going on? Thank you in advance for any help. I will definitely be calling the custom shop tomorrow morning to hopefully solve the mystery.

Joe

Can you please take a pic?

Not sure how the frame rails can interfere with the safety operation. Basically with the hammer cocked back, you should see the safety on the inside trying to rotate to block the sear from rotating. With the hammer back and the safety off, you should be able to see the sear rotate in position, and the top safety leg rotate past the safety block.

Check out my sear guide on czforumsite.info in the gunsmithing section, and you can also try removing the safety levers to check what's interfering. They come in and out pretty easily. The disassembly guide is also available at the same forum link above.

Hope this helps a little.

Gerard

Its probably the competition hammer - it changes the sear angle where the safety engages/blocks it. If you don't want to wait, removing a bit of material from the ear of the sear, or the block on the safety will likely fix it. If you take the slide off and work the safety, you would see where its hitting.

However, yeah it should have been right from before it was shipped to you.

Thank you all again. Burningsquirrel, thanks for the links, good stuff.

I contacted the CZCustom and talked to one of the smiths. He informed me that it has occurred a couple of times. He said that it has only happened on this model. The smith assured me that once it was fixed, it would not happen again. He gave me intructions on what to do to fix it and I did that when I got home. It worked perfectly. He was very polite and professional and stated that if the problem isn't fixed, they will do whatever it takes to make it right. He did tell me that they believe that they have come up with a fix that they will be implementing to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I wanted to avoid sending it back if possible because I do not have alot of time with it before I deploy to Afghanistan for 7-8 months.

I didn't want to say at first because the smith said they are trying to figure out exactly what was causing the problem. The fix was simply to remove the slide, flip the frame upside down and tap the bottom of the thumb safety with a plastic hammer until it clicked on.

I got to shoot it today, outside at -5f. Functioned perfectly and was very accurate.

• 4 months later...

I didn't want to say at first because the smith said they are trying to figure out exactly what was causing the problem. The fix was simply to remove the slide, flip the frame upside down and tap the bottom of the thumb safety with a plastic hammer until it clicked on.

I got to shoot it today, outside at -5f. Functioned perfectly and was very accurate.

Thanks it worked for my Shadow too! Now it functions perfectly!

• 1 year later...

Can you please take a pic?

Not sure how the frame rails can interfere with the safety operation. Basically with the hammer cocked back, you should see the safety on the inside trying to rotate to block the sear from rotating. With the hammer back and the safety off, you should be able to see the sear rotate in position, and the top safety leg rotate past the safety block.

Check out my sear guide on czforumsite.info in the gunsmithing section, and you can also try removing the safety levers to check what's interfering. They come in and out pretty easily. The disassembly guide is also available at the same forum link above.

Hope this helps a little.

Gerard

Could you please send me the direct links to you sear guide and the disassembly guide? I have a CZ 75 TS Czechmate and I'm having some problems with the RHS safety, I keep pushing it up with my index finger during recoil and I want to remove it. There are no guides what so ever for this gun. :( I know your guides are for the Shadow but it might give me some hints. If you have any info at all about the TS, I'm happy to collect. :)