Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Configuration Questions/Validation

Hello all. I bit the bullet today (so to speak) and bought a Dillon 650. I'm glad that I purchased from Brian as he was extremely responsive and helpful.

I'll be loading 45 ACP to start, and will consider adding other calibers down the road. The main driver for my purchase of the 650 over the other models is that it has five stations, allowing me to easily incorporate the Dillon Powder Checker. Speed is nice, but it was way down the list of priorities - I know that will come with more time and experience. I just want to create quality, consistent rounds.

I've been searching and scanning forums for hours trying to piece together answers to my questions and have been able to knock off a few. What follows are the questions that I have left. Please respond to as many as you'd like - all input is welcome and appreciated.

Question 1

The Dillon Powder Dispenser - does it bell the mouth of the case and dispense the charge, or does it just dispense the charge? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to dedicate a stage to preparing the case for a bullet after sizing and before charging.

Question 2

I currently have a set of four Lee carbide dies. Basically the deluxe set plus the factory crimp, and I'm using all but the latter on (don't laugh) Lee 1000. I have a set of Redding Competition Dies for my .308 hand loading and have really fallen for them. I see that they make a high end set for pistol as well. Are they worth it? Or should I just stick with the Lee dies?

Question 3

Unless I've really made some poor assumptions, the following configuration should work. Will it, and what else should I know about it?

Station 1: Size and Deprime

Station 2: Expand/Bell Case & Charge (Assuming the answer to question 1 is that the dispenser die does both.)

Station 3: Powder Check

Station 4: Seat Bullet

Station 5: Factory Crimp

Thanks so much for your time and assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hello all. I bit the bullet today (so to speak) and bought a Dillon 650. I'm glad that I purchased from Brian as he was extremely responsive and helpful.

I'll be loading 45 ACP to start, and will consider adding other calibers down the road. The main driver for my purchase of the 650 over the other models is that it has five stations, allowing me to easily incorporate the Dillon Powder Checker. Speed is nice, but it was way down the list of priorities - I know that will come with more time and experience. I just want to create quality, consistent rounds.

I've been searching and scanning forums for hours trying to piece together answers to my questions and have been able to knock off a few. What follows are the questions that I have left. Please respond to as many as you'd like - all input is welcome and appreciated.

Question 1

The Dillon Powder Dispenser - does it bell the mouth of the case and dispense the charge, or does it just dispense the charge? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to dedicate a stage to preparing the case for a bullet after sizing and before charging.

Question 2

I currently have a set of four Lee carbide dies. Basically the deluxe set plus the factory crimp, and I'm using all but the latter on (don't laugh) Lee 1000. I have a set of Redding Competition Dies for my .308 hand loading and have really fallen for them. I see that they make a high end set for pistol as well. Are they worth it? Or should I just stick with the Lee dies?

Question 3

Unless I've really made some poor assumptions, the following configuration should work. Will it, and what else should I know about it?

Station 1: Size and Deprime

Station 2: Expand/Bell Case & Charge (Assuming the answer to question 1 is that the dispenser die does both.)

Station 3: Powder Check

Station 4: Seat Bullet

Station 5: Factory Crimp

Thanks so much for your time and assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Question 1: Station 2 will dispense the powder and bell the case.....you do not need an extra step

Question 2: I use Redding titanium competition dies....it isnt necessary, I like them and I feel a little less resistance as the cases pass through the dies. Many people use Lee quite happily, or several other brands for that matter...all will do the job...its a preference choice really.

Question 3: Your configuration will work just fine....

Quality and consistency in rounds is helped a little by operating the press in a smooth even motion on both the up and down stroke....after a while you get a natural rhythm, and also by good setup and cleanup habits to ensure all powder is out of hopper after use, keep the machine clean etc.

Good luck and enjoy the 650XL, I love mine!

Station 2 will seat the primer with a forward push of the handle.

On the up stroke, it will bell the case and drop the powder charge.

As for dies, the Dillon die sets work great after they are setup correctly.

I started with Dillon dies but now I run a hodge podge of dies to make my rounds.

I've got Dillon, redding, Lee and a EGW/Lee die in my 650 toolhead.

Macca - thanks a ton for the confirmation and advice. I think I'll go ahead with the Redding dies (will sell the Lee dies with the old press). If I like them half as much as the rifle dies it'll be worthwhile.

Yoshi - thanks for pointing out the priming station. I was so wrapped up with die placement I forgot to add that in my list. Sounds like quite the assortment of dies - I'm sure I'll end up with a setup like that as experience teaches me what works best.

Thanks again, gents. It's a relief to know my plans are sound. :cheers:

in station #2 the amount that you "Bell" the case mouth can be adjusted by turning the die body up and down. = you want the powder charge bar to make a full stoke , and more movement past that will bell the case mouth.

I shoot mostly Steel Challenge so I get my bass back and can load cases over 10 times. so I only work the case mouth as little as possible to make the cases last longer.

JF

I realy like the Dillion Size die for speed and not catching on the up storke and Hornady dies for the bullet seating.

the Hornady dies can be had for under $40 some times. the seat die floats like the Reding but it is not under spring presure

Edited by AlamoShooter

There seems to be a group of reloaders that are using the 1050 powder die, in 650's and 550's, that only puts the "bell" on the case mouth (the 1050 expands on station #3) with good results and no "sticking" on the down stroke even without polishing the die. I have yet to try it but I will and see how much smoother it makes the process.

Edited by jmorris

Looks like you're all set up and ready to go. I like the Dillon dies over the other dies but it's not a huge difference. Brian recommends them due to their configuration and I've never had any problems with wear or scratching but the lees are very good as well - especially the factory crime die. I think it's a must for every toolhead set-up.