Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield MC Operator

Coolaidshooter

I looked at this gun...Springfield MC Operator. Is it reliable? It has an ambidextrous safety. Down the road

would it be possible to get a standard single safety on the support hand side ( Traditional Location )? Or is any 1911

with an ambi safety specially built, so a single sided safety can't be easily dropped in.?

Thanks

I looked at this gun...Springfield MC Operator. Is it reliable? It has an ambidextrous safety. Down the road

would it be possible to get a standard single safety on the support hand side ( Traditional Location )? Or is any 1911

with an ambi safety specially built, so a single sided safety can't be easily dropped in.?

Thanks

I haven't tried that particular model, but it should be no more or less likely to run than any other Springfield 1911, which means it will likely run (and if it doesn't, they'll fix it).

You can replace ambi safeties with a single safety easily....but it will need to be fit to the sear.

If you were considering it for Single Stack division you'd want to make sure that the light rail attachment isn't longer than 3.25" from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover. R,

Its in the rules for SS.

23 Permitted features •External extractors, firing pin blocks, and other factory safety

features.

•Slide – milling permitted only to duplicate a mass-produced

factory slide available to the general public or as required to

insert sights.

•Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no

longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide

stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

I have the Springfield MC Operator and the light rail is legal for SS. It is also very reliable as long as you don't use short ammunition. I had a batch of 200 grain SWC bullets that I loaded to an OAL of 1.250" and I was getting a failure to feed about once every 50 rounds. When I load to 1.275" I have zero malfunctions. It might just be the shape of the bullet at that length too. I have never had a problem with 230 grain ball. Its a great gun. Its very reliable and accurate.

I dont think springfield knows how to fit a barrel . had 2 trps and both shoot loose under 1000 rds.

never had any other problems though

I've got 6....I think. The .40s and have probably about 8k down the pipes from last 2 seasons and they still hold A zone head shots at 25 yards all day. One is a Trophy Match and one is a Loaded model. Now they are both non .45s and they use a little bit better barrel I think and probably a little better fitting. The 2 .45s I have I can't complain with those either. One is a TRP so that quality is to be expected but the other is just a simple loaded model and it works fine as well. Remember your buying an assembly line gun when you buy loaded model on down and they aren't going to be custom gun tight. As long as they shoot and are acceptably accurate a little rattle doesn't bother me.

Oh back to the OP topic. I had a MC operator for a month then saw something I had to have and sold it. From the time I had it was just a notch below my TRP. It didn't have checkering and I can't remember what barrel was in it but it was on a NM frame and was fit very well and accurate. It also ran everything I threw at it.

At the store the other day they had a NIB TRP stainless steel for $1450. They wouldn't come down in price.

I wanted to trade my plastic HK pistol for another 1911. I owned a SIG GSR. That was my first handgun. My first 1911. I don't know about the TRP, so I didn't invest in it.

It felt very good. The front LPI is awesome. How does the TRP compare to the operator? For competition and self defense.

I think the Springfield TRP is one of the best production 1911's you can buy without stepping up to semi-custom/custom 1911s. NIB at 1450 is a bit steep. If you don't mind buying lightly used, you can usually find them for 1000-1100 without too much effort.

I haven't owned an Operator, but my TRP ate all the factory ammo I put through it (230 FMJ and JHP).

TRPs have jumped inprice quite a bit as of late. You used to be able to get a new TRP Operator for 1300$ now that is what the TRP costs. Shop around and you can usually like find the TRPs in the 900-1100 price range a little used. If there is anything wrong with it Springfield will take care of you. With that said you can find a used MC Operator for 2-300 less as well. It all depends on what you need. If you want to compete with the gun I would say get the regular TRP. If your going to use it as a night stand gun you might want the rail.

I bought an MC operator, sent it back to springfield to have 20lpi checkering on the FS and had the black armory cote the frame, added a dawson fiber front sight.

Love it, love it better than my TRP operator, just feels good to shoot, nice trigger, might send it off to have the creep taken out, but for the money can't beat it.

At the store the other day they had a NIB TRP stainless steel for $1450. They wouldn't come down in price.

I wanted to trade my plastic HK pistol for another 1911. I owned a SIG GSR. That was my first handgun. My first 1911. I don't know about the TRP, so I didn't invest in it.

It felt very good. The front LPI is awesome. How does the TRP compare to the operator? For competition and self defense.

The TRP is a pretty nice compromise really....not crazy expensive, but still made well. I wouldn't have any problems running one in SS or for self-defense once I was certain it was running 100% (likely not an issue). In fact, one of my friends has an issued Professional model and a personally owned TRP...he says he can't see any difference in performance/accuracy and he's a high level PPC shooter. R,

I think the SA MC Operator is the absolute best value in 1911's today. I had one and put 7000 rounds through it with very few stoppages, and no parts break. I sold it to a team mate and it's still going strong. I know another team that has used several, one with over 21k and one with over 26k. They had a couple minor issues, like A plunger tube coming loose.

I had an opportunity to audit a federal agencies 1911 transition school with the MC Operator. The pistol, and I, did well. Another person made the comment that for the price, they'd rather by two MC Operators for the price of one of the more "upgraded" 1911's.

TRPs have jumped inprice quite a bit as of late. You used to be able to get a new TRP Operator for 1300$ now that is what the TRP costs. Shop around and you can usually like find the TRPs in the 900-1100 price range a little used. If there is anything wrong with it Springfield will take care of you. With that said you can find a used MC Operator for 2-300 less as well. It all depends on what you need. If you want to compete with the gun I would say get the regular TRP. If your going to use it as a night stand gun you might want the rail.

No kidding, I've seen some people asking 1350-1450 for used TRP Operators.