Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going to Afghanistan

If you're in or around Kandahar AFB, stop in for a spell with the Canadians and treat yourself to a Tim Horton's coffee.

My B-I-L is currently a chairborne ranger at Bagram AFB and says they are able to source virtually all of the random comfort items they need.

First, need to know if you will be with dismounted or primarily mounted operations. My experience was in Iraq and we were mostly mounted for movement and dismounted for specific actions. That key fact - mounted or dismounted - will drive your kit. I operated in a Civil Affairs capacity but many of peers and friends were in the ETTS - we worked together a lot. Two ETTS have deployed to Afghanistan from my unit in the last 3 years since I came back from OIF.

If you are Army - you will be issued an amazing amount of kit with your RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative). Do not buy anything until you see your issue.

Some items I found useful:

Wilderness Instructor Belt in Tan (need a great first line belt), Kydex holster with three mag holders for Beretta M9, Safariland 6004 drop leg holster with two mag holders (I used the 6004 when I was armored up - I used the Kydex inside base camp - as tour progressed, I wore the Kydex outside wire too), Surefire light on belt holster, Gerber multi-tool on belt holster, digital camera on belt holster. (I used this stuff more than any other kit). I wore Oakley M frame glasses - get some quality sunglasses and take extra lenses.

Assault pack 1 - packed for overnight bag with shaving kit, towel, snivel gear. You never know when you will be staying overnight away from "home". Never get on a helicopter or vehicle without your ruck (we will be right back.....).

Assault pack 2 - the SHTF bag. Full Combat Lifesaver kit with Israeli bandages and multiple (4+) tourniquets (tourniquets get used a lot now at the first line responder level). Night vision goggles with extra batteries. Ammo - mostly 5.56, some 9mm. Local cell phone with scratch cards. Satellite phone. Lots of extra batteries (mine were AA except for SureFire).

Primary weapon - I had an issue M4 and I kept it as light as possible - I did not hang anything on it and took off the issue rails. I took my own EOTECH but had access to Aimpoint M68s or ACOGs. I used issue mags but if going again I would get PMAGS (they may be issue now). In OEF, I would try to get an ACOG. Sling - I used multiple slings over the deployment but ended up using a Wolf Hook sling (sling attached to armor and butt of weapon like a single point.)

Armor - pick out the pouches you like best to outfit your issue vest. Good luck finding a compromise on "how" to arrange the piouches so that you can fight, ride in a vehicle, dismount, carry a bunch of stuff, go prone, climb through windows, etc.

Most people end up getting a civilian laptop as their multipurpose entertainment system. Music, games, DVDs, etc. You might get a Kindle loaded up with book before you go, too.

Curiously, I never used a camelback (had them though!) - we always used bottle water. Cannot sit in the vehicle with the camelback.

Remember the Light Fighter saying - "a hundred pounds of lightweight stuff still weighs one hundred pounds".

PM me - I am still serving if you need more specifics.

All I can say is good luck and that I will have you and all of the other soldiers in my prayers. It's been a few years since I was in the sandbox, but my thoughts and prayers are still with all that are serving.